Rg and sg riders

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by BOWHIKER, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BOWHIKER

BOWHIKER Junior Member

I have a question for you guys . I think the fairings look pretty cool on these bikes with the little low windshield . But with that short windshield it's reallt not functional is it ? Can you add a taller one but that kind of defeats the purpose of hte looks of the short one , so do you just ride the way it comes or what do you do ?

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I have a Electra Glide Classic, with a q.d. tour pak. I use the short windshield sometimes when I'm gonna stay "urban". It's ok up to 50, after that I get a lot of wind around face level.

3. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

The short windshields look cool but they don't offer much protection . I have a 6" HD windshield that I only used 1 time a real waste of money IMO . You can get some real nice looking windshields that are more functional , you should check out Windvest or Clearview to mention a few . I have a 12" Windvest on my RG and I like the way it looks & protects .

4. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Lots of good reading here too:

Choosing A Windshield - Archive - Harley Davidson Community
    Replacement Windshields - Archive - Harley Davidson Community
    Windshield Comparisons - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

5. cromedome

cromedome Active Member

Just look at all the "protien' you miss with the tall windshield :)....

6. ScreamR

ScreamR Member

One of the first things I did was to put an 8" windshield on my Street Glide. I think it still looks cool enough, but has the function that I need.

7. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I have to agree. For me, one of the main reasons the front view of a Street Glide looks leaner and meaner than other touring models is the absence of the additional lights in the fairing vicinity and no extra chrome or badging on the fender. Still looks very cool even with taller windshields installed.

8. BigMike57

BigMike57 Member

I have an '08 Ultra-Glide and run a stock H-D windshield(12"?) most of the spring and late fall, then switch to a 8" smoked in the summer for that wind in your face feel. I have to turn up the tunes, but it brings me back to my '80 FXEF days.

9. dboone

dboone Member

It took me a week before I put a 10" windshield on mine and have not regretted it yet.

10. bigdreams65

bigdreams65 New Member

added the taller sheild 12" for the winter I thought... put the short sheild on a nice day and came back and put the tall shield back on... I guess when it hit's 90 I'll try the short shield again, but the taller shield is much nicer when putting on any kind of mileage.