free website stats program Rg and sg riders | Harley Davidson Forums

Rg and sg riders

BOWHIKER

I have a question for you guys . I think the fairings look pretty cool on these bikes with the little low windshield . But with that short windshield it's reallt not functional is it ? Can you add a taller one but that kind of defeats the purpose of hte looks of the short one , so do you just ride the way it comes or what do you do ?

I have a Electra Glide Classic, with a q.d. tour pak. I use the short windshield sometimes when I'm gonna stay "urban". It's ok up to 50, after that I get a lot of wind around face level.

The short windshields look cool but they don't offer much protection . I have a 6" HD windshield that I only used 1 time a real waste of money IMO . You can get some real nice looking windshields that are more functional , you should check out Windvest or Clearview to mention a few . I have a 12" Windvest on my RG and I like the way it looks & protects .

I have a question for you guys . I think the fairings look pretty cool on these bikes with the little low windshield . But with that short windshield it's reallt not functional is it ?

You obviously haven't done a demo ride or ridden one or you wouldn't have to ask that question. The stock shield on a SG is for looks only (OK, maybe 90%) and only offers any kind of protection up to 40MPH or so.

Can you add a taller one but that kind of defeats the purpose of hte looks of the short one , so do you just ride the way it comes or what do you do ?

Totally up to you whether you want looks or function. Many companies make a pretty good compromise like Clearview (with the recurve) or Klockwerks.

Lots of good reading here too:

Choosing A Windshield - Archive - Harley Davidson Community
Replacement Windshields - Archive - Harley Davidson Community
Windshield Comparisons - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

One of the first things I did was to put an 8" windshield on my Street Glide. I think it still looks cool enough, but has the function that I need.

One of the first things I did was to put an 8" windshield on my Street Glide. I think it still looks cool enough, but has the function that I need.

I have to agree. For me, one of the main reasons the front view of a Street Glide looks leaner and meaner than other touring models is the absence of the additional lights in the fairing vicinity and no extra chrome or badging on the fender. Still looks very cool even with taller windshields installed.

I have an '08 Ultra-Glide and run a stock H-D windshield(12"?) most of the spring and late fall, then switch to a 8" smoked in the summer for that wind in your face feel. I have to turn up the tunes, but it brings me back to my '80 FXEF days.

added the taller sheild 12" for the winter I thought... put the short sheild on a nice day and came back and put the tall shield back on... I guess when it hit's 90 I'll try the short shield again, but the taller shield is much nicer when putting on any kind of mileage.

Back