free website stats program Reversing Baffles | Harley Davidson Forums

Reversing Baffles

Five Window

Has anyone tried reversing the baffles in Rush slip-ons to decrease sound levels? In normal install the louvers face away from the exhaust flow. If reversed they would intercept sound better. This would increase back pressure somewhat, but I'm running 1.5" ones now and I've got a pair of 2" baffles that were too big that I'm going to reverse and try out.

I've got glass pack side pipes on a Sting Ray with a 450 hp 383 and their louvers face the flow. They've been on for almost three years now and have not lost packing or had any negative effect on performance over the chambered pipes that were on it before.

I would have to say that the baffles are designed to work in a certain way and reversing them can cause an excessive amount of back pressure and possibly cause a problem like a burnt valve. JMHO.

I would prefer to use them the way they were designed to work. Too much or even too little can have an adverse effect on the engine.

Has anyone tried reversing the baffles in Rush slip-ons to decrease sound levels? In normal install the louvers face away from the exhaust flow. If reversed they would intercept sound better. This would increase back pressure somewhat, but I'm running 1.5" ones now and I've got a pair of 2" baffles that were too big that I'm going to reverse and try out.

I've got glass pack side pipes on a Sting Ray with a 450 hp 383 and their louvers face the flow. They've been on for almost three years now and have not lost packing or had any negative effect on performance over the chambered pipes that were on it before.

I would have to say that the baffles are designed to work in a certain way and reversing them can cause an excessive amount of back pressure and possibly cause a problem like a burnt valve. JMHO.

I would prefer to use them the way they were designed to work. Too much or even too little can have an adverse effect on the engine.
Exhaust flow and pulses are a funny animal, I would not reverse the flow, may be call their tech support for advice if you want to make changes, there are formulas for exhaust flow I will see if I can find them:s

When I pulled my baffles from my V&H blackout rounds, the louvers faced away or towards the exit of the pipe. My now baffels were not wrapped, so maybe using some good packing material might help.

Update. I picked up some FMF 4 stroke muffler packing yesterday and wrapped my V&H 2.25" baffles. They were pretty loud with my duals. The results, quieted it down alot at idle and cruise, but still has that bark when you twist the grip. It reduced that V&H sharpness for sure.

I'll be putting on some miles today so will share any new experiences.

Ride safe and have fun.

I also had rush 1.75" baffles. And when repacked they sounded great. Although I used many different types of packing it seemed once a year they needed repacked. It was usally the right side that burnt out.

Qick update. 200 mile ride today with the FMf baffle wrap. Idle is alot quiter, cruise is quiter but twist the grip and it still barks. It does sound different when deceling (engine braking), but it seemed to be quiter (not much of a big loud gurgle). All in all, pretty happy. Will see how long this FMF 4 stroke packing lasts.

Ride safe and have fun.

Reversing Baffles: Result

Pulled them out and turned them around yesterday. Contrary to some predictions, the world did not end. The sound is noticeably lower in tone, sharp bark at idle is gone and the bike runs great. If anything, it seems to have more jump in the lower gears, probably due to some slight increase in back pressure. I'd recommend trying it out.

Back