free website stats program Reverse Neutral switch | Harley Davidson Forums

Reverse Neutral switch

Mikvi

The neutral switch on my 2001 ultra was intermittent, so I replaced it. Now the light comes on in gear and goes off in neutral! I thought I'd got the wrong switch, so got another and had the same problem. Changed wires over (2 on this switch) and no change. Tried re-torquing the switch, but has no effect. Anyone come across this problem before?

The neutral switch on my 2001 ultra was intermittent, so I replaced it. Now the light comes on in gear and goes off in neutral! I thought I'd got the wrong switch, so got another and had the same problem. Changed wires over (2 on this switch) and no change. Tried re-torquing the switch, but has no effect. Anyone come across this problem before?

Couple of things:
  1. Did you replace the switch with an OEM switch that was the same part number as the original?
  2. Do you still have the original switch?
If for #1, you used a difference part number for that neutral switch, try getting the right part and see if that solves the problem.

If for #2 you do still have the old switch, try reinstalling that and playing with the amount of torque applied to see if you can get a reliable neutral indication. I had a temperamental switch on my '03 UC after I installed the SE 6-spd. I just had to adjust the switch so it found the detent reliably and gave me a reliable "neutral" indication and not on all the time or off all the time.

Cheers,

TQ

Good advice TQ. Sometime the simplest thing cause the most headache.... I agree that if not using O.E. that should be considered.

Tried one aftermarket switch and one OEM form the Dealer. Switch works, it's just backwards. I might just put a relay in line or just disconnect it anyway. Don't really need the idiot light, it's just a frustrating fault. The old switch was just breaking down so that's why I wanted to replace it. Thanks for the replies.

When you say the old switch was "breaking down" was it not giving you a light some of the time and then it would start working?

My concern is this. I know its your ride you decide, but if neutral light is not correctly repaired and you happen to get on bike and do not pull clutch in will a 2001 start in gear. Better yet what if bike is taken into shop or you let a buddy ride bike and do not make them aware............:eek:

Have you considered the switch may not be the problem? Could it be the light cluster itself. I find it hard to believe you tried 2 switches and you still have the problem.

Remove the instrument console so you can gain access to connector #21 which is the connector that connects the 5 indicator lamps to the wiring harness. Connector #21 is an 8 pin connector but only 1-7 are populated with wires. Pin #5 should be a TAN wire. Pin #6 should be an ORANGE wire.

Separate (Disconnect) connector #21. You will be probing the wiring harness end.

Step 1) Turn on ignition. Measure the DC Voltage between Pin #6 (orange) and FRAME ground. You must read 12 volts. Do you read 12 volts DC.

Step 2) Turn Off ignition. With your meter in the 200 ohms scale (MUST be lowest scale), measure the resistance valve between Pin #5 (TAN) to FRAME ground when bike is in Neutral. You must read less than 1 ohm. Do you read 1 ohm or less.

If YES to both questions, indicator lamp assembly is bad or connector #21 is not making good contact.

Remember you MUST have your meter in the lowest scale (200 ohm) when reading step #2.

Have a look here

Changed the light cluster out. Everything works as it should when touching the wires together. I will test it though. Try harder to believe I tried 2 switches. I have no reason to lie :) This is why this is so frustrating.

Changed the light cluster out. Everything works as it should when touching the wires together. I will test it though. Try harder to believe I tried 2 switches. I have no reason to lie :) This is why this is so frustrating.
I don't think anyone was questioning your statement and we all know how frustrating these types of problems can be. Can you tell us what the old switch was doing to make you change it out? I'm thinking that maybe there is a frayed wire somewhere that is causing the problem.

Back