free website stats program rev limiter? | Harley Davidson Forums

rev limiter?

injunwil

am i correct in assuming the 2005 Sportster is equiped with something to prevent over revving it? i don't have a tach and normally don't get on it, but was showing off for a buddy, last night, and really wrung er out good. i can't estimate RPM, but i feel kinda guilty about raw doggin a cruiser and would like to know that there's something to prevent damage from beatin it like that.

This is what I found. Hope this helps:
If your machine is equipped with a tachometer, shifting up at 3000 RPM is a good rule of thumb, downshifting at 1500 (ish?).

Since later model machines have rev limiters (the stock set at 5400 RPM) it is unlikely that you will damage the engine from over revving. Lugging the engine, though, can cause premature wear.

If your machine lacks a tachometer, a good starting point for shifting is on the "tens" in Miles Per Hour. Again, the rev limiter will protect you.

yea dont beat it like that showing off . buy a tach if u cant hear it reving up that much i generally dont take mine over 5000 and that to me is beating her. sometimes u must to get in a save position from people out there

Hobbit is the man regarding how much we can get out of our "stock and modified high flying" hardware. The key is the gearing of the tranny and what you are using your throttle hand for. The key is to extract in proper measure, the power and torque out of your machine without affecting longevity.

Limiters are only set up to prevent you from "grenading" your hardware if you have an errant shift or "want" to save your ride for another day. On the racetrack that is one weekend at a time, but on the street or touring, that is entirely your choice to mess with RPMs outside that range...hammering your bike or keeping it at that high a range...will have consequences.

the majority of rev limiters on the HD models kicks in at 5500rpms, the R model sportsters tho reve a little higher the red line on mine starts at 6000rpm and this is were i would expect the limiter to be, the SE ignition modules raise the bar to 6500rpms for street legal use and the SE race use 7000rpms, but unless you have done drastic engine work its a complete waste as the power and TQ starts to drop off at this point

The SE ignition that I just purchased allows me to select the rev limit. Believe it or not, I can set it for over 7g if I want, but would be useless for me.

------------------------------------------------------

This is what I found. Hope this helps:
If your machine is equipped with a tachometer, shifting up at 3000 RPM is a good rule of thumb, downshifting at 1500 (ish?).

Since later model machines have rev limiters (the stock set at 5400 RPM) it is unlikely that you will damage the engine from over revving. Lugging the engine, though, can cause premature wear.

If your machine lacks a tachometer, a good starting point for shifting is on the "tens" in Miles Per Hour. Again, the rev limiter will protect you.

I use the 10 mph rule when I am on my bike. I generally react to what my bike is telling me. IF I hear that the bike is winding, well, I shift. Listening to what is going on is half the battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
appreciate the comforting input, guys. it sounds like i don't really have much to worry about from do one 1/4 mile run, eh? it's an EXTREMELY rare (as in once) deal. i never let it lug, but i don't ride it like my old sportbike either. i was a little stressed that i had put alot of excessive wear on it by wringin 'er out one good time because i really don't know much about HD's or what they can take. my old bike could sit at redline all day, every day, and love it, but it was designed to be a track bike.

thanks again for easin my mind :)

There is a huge difference between free revving the engine as in being in neutral and winding it up and actually doing a quarter mile pull on it. Free revving it will destroy your engine alot faster than just doing a quarter mile run. You should be fine.

Back