free website stats program Reusable oil filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Reusable oil filter

That seems to be the way of the world. The healthy food costs 75% more than the junk. The shoes that are good for back support cost 150.00 where the cheap sneakers are 35.00. Now a re-usable "Green" oil filter, $154.00?! Where is the incentive to go green? besides, the oil you clean out of it is going somewhere anyways right? I think I will stick with HD original on this one. my wife would KILL me on a buy like that. :s

Cigarette smoke is approximately 10 microns according to one comparison I looked at. I believe mold spores were 15 microns. Does anyone think that a filter could be effective at filtering particles 1/2 the size of smoke? The restriction would be significant and if is was effective it would plug up quickly.
I just like to try new things and work hard to afford to do and try what I want. I feel comfortable with an absolute micron rating of 30-35 rather than bypassing particles 2 or 3 times larger.
The truth is that we place more emphasis on filters than we should. I bought a 68 VW new and put almost 300,000 mile on it. They don't have a filter but I changed my oil every 2500 miles. When I rebuilt the engine I pushed the pistons out the top of the Mahle cylinders with hand pressure and left the mains alone.
Our Harley's are tough aren't they?

Thanks for the info. 30-35 microns is too big for me in the TC engine with the piston oilers etc. I'll stick with the HD filters at 5 microns.

The problem I have is, what if just say.... You did not get it cleaned out properly or reassembled correctly and you end up destroying your engine????
For $154.00 you can buy 11 H.D. oil filters and change alot of oil. So to me there is no benefit what so ever except to the company selling it....
Another marketing gimmick?????

HD filters say nominal 5 micron. That means 50% filtering 5 microns at best, whats the other 50%? Nobody knows and HD won't say. What sold me on the K&P, beside the quality was the HD techs that use them on their own bikes and swear by them. Good enough for me. But... its up to you what you want use.
wilks3
:USA

I agree with wilks3, I have one on my Stage 3 upgrade on my 2008 Ultra and know of a few HD engine builders/mechanics that have them on their own bikes!! Good enough for me! My ride, my choice!

I had the K&P one on my 08 heritage for one oil cycle. I didn't buy it myself, It was a gift from my cousin. Maybe I'm old school or something but it always made me nervous on there. That and the pain in the butt to clean the thing made me go back to the old tried and true. Oh yea, I almost forgot, Your suppose to put a new rubber gasket on it each time so by the time you pay for the new gasket and add in shipping, And the time it takes to clean it, In reality it probably is more expensive in the long run. I'm feeling much more secure this way. Just punch a hole in it, drain it, remove it and toss it (I mean properly recycle it...LOL...) The way I see it is a few bucks for a regular filter a few times a year is allot cheaper than 5 grand for a new motor.

Later.

...and toss it. That is one huge benefit of the K&P filter, no oil going into landfill to soak into groundwater.
What is so hard about cleaning? I use a 3/4" 6" long pipe nipple, screw filter on nipple spray with carb cleaner. I have air chuck fixed on other side of nipple, hook air line to it and blast it with air. I hold the filter in a white t-shirt and keep spraying carb cleaner and blasting with air until t-shirt no longer gets dirty. Takes about 3-4 squirts. I have never had to change the quad-ring to seal filter housing either.
wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I do not throw them into the regular trash. I always do my oil changes where I work. The used oil goes into a 500 gallon tank specifically for oils to be recycled and the filters and oil jugs go into a big plastic container which is hauled away when full by the same oil recycler. That's one of the benefits at my employer. We have a huge truck shop at our disposal during off hours. My main problem with the re-usable filters is I don't trust them. If you do, cool! Its your bike. But not on mine. I guess I'm just an old guy who will not embrace all this new fangled (EDIT) .

Ride safe
Later.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO and nothing else ---- reusable oil filter -- would be like someone taking a bath in another persons water! Like I said JMO and nothing else!

Back