free website stats program retro fit | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

retro fit

thanks fin, that's the one i have. question: how important is the damper spring and the damper spring seat? i've had some so called Hd machines say you don't need them. whats the story on that? and do u know of a spring washer that goes in the clutch hub over the main shaft then ur 1-3/16" left hand nut goes on?

I am not in a position to comment on what you have heard elsewhere as my most up to date bike is a 94 and uses the older style clutch
however i would suggest if Harley puts it there it is there for a reason and usually a Harley clutch is more than enough for most bikes
The main reason for aftermarket clutches is when a bike has been fiddled with enough to produce more power than the stock clutch can take

Brian

i want to thank every one who's taken their time to help me with this problem. i'm getting it slowly but surely. one thing the clutch hub was missing a spring washer. with that in, i run into a whole different set of problems. now compensater has got to be shorting up, which it will be if i have to machine it down. this what u get trying to take a custom work back to stock. or pretty close to it. oh yea, glider, u probably not wrong, it come out yesterday that clutch did come out of a sporty. thanks again guy's, ya'll are great . i'll be back with how things are coming and just might be looking for more answer.

thanks,
xrap51

If the clutch did come out of a sporty then you are probably using the wrong plates for the clutch basket which may point to your problem
The big twin in 98 got the new clutch with 9 friction plates and 8 steel plates prior to that the big twin used the same clutch as the sporty one in the link Glider posted

Brian

oh yea, glider, u probably not wrong, it come out yesterday that clutch did come out of a sporty. thanks again guy's, ya'll are great . i'll be back with how things are coming and just might be looking for more answer.

thanks,
xrap51

I knew that :lolrolling

Glad you're finally gaining on it.

just read your post and the replys...... 1 thing really stood out to me ... you said you are running out of cable adjustment, is that correct ? If so you might want to look at the cable as the issue..... I havea custom built softail that I put together 7 years ago and fought for the first couple years with a very simalar issue, and attempted many of the fixes you mention. In the end what I found was the stock cables I was trying to use were a poor fit and there was not enough adjustment in the mid cable adjuster, my solution untill I get around to ordering a custom cable was to fab a split spacer that I put over the cable at the clutch perch, this in effect shortens the cable allowing the mid cable adjuster to do its job better. Noone has ever noticed it but I know its there and it kinda bugs me a bit, but not enuff to tear it apart any time soon. After some thought I think I might try putting a jam nut on the cable fitting where it threads into the clutch release cover, similar to the way they did it on the older sportys, but for now it is working fine the way I have it, and ultimately I will some day order a custom cable from Barrnett

Back