free website stats program Retirement where? | Harley Davidson Forums

Retirement where?

otter1958

My wife and I live about 80 mile south of Chicago and are looking for a good place to retire in about 7 years. Looking for a place where we can ride most of year, is afforable and not too hot. Was looking at Abilene Texas. Anyone out there got any suggestions??

Otter

I posted this on the midwest site and should have asked the folks that live in the southwest. My wife and I will retire in about 6-7 years from 80 miles south of Chicago, IL. and want to great (warmer but not too warm) place were we can ride at least 90% of the year to live in. Was looking at Abilene , TX anyone since its kind of central US. Anyone out ther got any suggestions where the best retirement area in the south US would be??

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you Golf, if so Myrtle Beach S.C. is the place to be.. over a 100 golf courses. They have 2 on seasons and 2 off seasons. On seasons can be kind of pricey but off seasons are cheap as dirt. They have a beach, it wouldn't be a bad ride to The Smokies, and they have a bring your own booze strip club,if your in to that sort of thing. No helmet law.

where i live they have signs up ( a certified retirement community)
we have 2 golf courses local, we have 3 lakes local with in 15 miles, we have 3 major highway less than 2 miles away.
I-20/ I-59 / highway 45. our town has population of 65,000 , i've lived here for 31 years and i like it, my dad worked all over us, he settled here for many reasons. all the people are nice and show plenty of hospitality. Meridian , MS. check it out online.

Anywhere in Mississippi or Alabama. North parts ride about 9 to 10 months, middle 10 to all year and all year in the south. Great ridding mountains to praire to ocean. Low taxes. Love it here.

There is a web site called "Find your spot", and I have put in the demographics that we want, even gone back and modified things a bit to see other choices. Every time Knoxville TN. comes up as my ideal location.

There is a web site called "Find your spot", and I have put in the demographics that we want, even gone back and modified things a bit to see other choices. Every time Knoxville TN. comes up as my ideal location.

"Find Your Spot", brought to you by the Knoxville TN Chamber of Commerce......(just kidding)

Have you looked into Arizona? There are some incredibly beautiful things to see there, you can ride year round, and the state is motorcycle friendly (eg. no helmet law) Property has gone up in places, but if you can buy now and hold on to it, you could do well. I had thought of it myself, but I'm already retired and living in a community just East of Pasadena, which gives me a small-town atmosphere adjacent to the amenities of Los Angeles.

Of course, we have to put up with the most dysfunctional state government in the country, but nowhere is perfect.

I have a friend retired to florida for a couple years and got to hate it.Sold his place there 5yrs. ago and moved to Texas,he loves it there,cheaper with wide open spaces.
Might be cheaper, but there is no shortage of wide open spaces in Florida...

Back