free website stats program Retirement job | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Retirement job

I was a auto mechanic for 16 years and do most work on my HD and have thought the same thing or even working in HD Sales or parts.

Beats working at Lowes or something I guess....

I wont NEED money, but who couldn't use a little extra? I might try the fix em' up thing. Can start doing that druing winter even before I hang up the day job. Would be great way to build up the capital too. Thinking about taking a couple community college painting classes. Gather up my paint gear. Hmmm, something to think about

I'm only 27 and retirement is a long way off but I've also thought about working on HD's when I retire. I already do it a little now when I have time. If I didn't like my current job so much I would quit now and spend a career working on bikes. Like alot of you I'm not concerned much about money when I retire I just want to do something productive that I enjoy.

I retired the 1st time in 2006 and wish I could afford to take the time to become a certified tech. Recommend you plan ahead and follow your dreams - do it right the first time so you aren't stuck waiting on gettin the bills paid off.

All good stuff! I sometimes wish I were 27 again, but at the same time I am pretty happy right where I'm at!

I'm pretty sure I will not worry about the "certificates" and just build some killer bikes. Maybe keep a portfolio to show my work. Go from there... My only problem is I hate sales. I mean hate selling anything. So building a bike then selling it might be tough...

Just my opinion. Look around your town/area for the best one or two independents. They will be swamped during riding season and will probably welcome someone to do the od jobs on the cheap. (min. wage) Work your way up from there. You may get sent home for winter but you said you wouldn't "need" the money and if you become a valued employee you'll get called back when it picks up. Good luck.

Demographics say the average Harley owner is getting older and sales are down simply because us older riders can't ride anymore being all worn out from lifetimes of hard work. Who wants to retire and end up with busted knuckles and slipped discs from stoop labor on other peoples bikes? I think the best way to make money would be to buy and sell parts and used bikes. Any business you start will require capital, credit, insurance, licenses, accountants, permits, etc... sticking with E-bay and swap meets would be less physically demanding and probably more profitable for a retiree.

Back