free website stats program Retired Barnstormer goes 4 A Dyna/wApes | Harley Davidson Forums

Retired Barnstormer goes 4 A Dyna/wApes

I picked up my first Harley Davidson three years ago, and my choice was a 2000 FDXWG with 18" Apes. Bought it from a friend who has a shop full of bikes, all his, all for sale. But at 75, he just doesn't get out on them as much as he once did. Their were several reasons I chose the bike. I think the Wide Glide is one of the better looking bikes offered. My bike is 17 years old, and has the old school look. I like the older style rear fender, the way the bike feels under me, and the bars felt real good. The bike had been modified in the past. Bored 30 over, half inch lift cam, stage one kit, and drag pipes..I liked the way it felt and even more the way it sounds. Had no idea in the beginning how many people were going to stop and say that's a bad bike, and the lope in the cam gets everybody elses attention, that didn't see it, they heard it. I found out real quick what HD really stands for. That's a nuther hundred dollars bro.. The bike had set for about two years before I decided I wanted it. And I had the sense to disconnect the fuel line and drain the old fuel, and pull the carb bowl drain to empty the bowl..I have watched so many guys not do that little extra effort, just run that old waxy junk right through the engine, only to have it shut down somewhere on the rokd. Dumping the old smelly gas will really save some time and money. My first quest was my throttle cables broke just about the same week. Well it ran fine on one until it broke, and I had to drive it 30 miles in traffic with a zipp tie looped through the Mikuni, and my finger pilling it..So im only about two weeks on this 1100 pound bike and my bad apes didn't have any cables anymore. Finding cables for 18inch apes to a Mikuni is no easy feat. Three know it all shop guru's had it covered, rite? All three different guys ordered the wrong ones. That took six weeks to finally have one of them make the right guess, and I was getting (EDIT). That''s when I decided to get a J & P account and order my own charging kit, and install it myself. I did have a lift, and youtube crash course. I did it on my first try.. Ok, this is the part I am seeking input on..I am about to pull the forks, and install new seals, rebuild my forks, myself. I think I can do it..... What do you guys think? This was suppose to be a introduction as a new member, and some of you guys are probally going is this guy ever going to end this introduction. Well I just did, I will be watching for any free advice out their. The charging system really turned out to be easy for me..I think this is a bit more of a test.

Ok, so I changed the manifold gaskets and the carb to manifold gasket. I reinstalled everything, making sure the manifold was seated properly, and it will now run without choke, but as soon as you try to give it throttle, it dies....what did I do?!?!? Lol

^^ to be correct , I had this problem before, but I figured it would fix all the problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum from Scotland
Changing the fork seals is not a particularly difficult task if you have the correct tools and some experience in using them
most important tool is the service manual as it will tell you what you need and how to do it I prefer the Clymer manuals but also have the HD manuals
I changed the fork seals on my 94 fxdwg a few years back needed a wee bit of heat to get one of the top caps to move but other than that as the service manual described

Brian

Longest intro I think I've seen but that's ok.
Welcome to HDT from the Rocky Mountains.
Well you guy's ask for it... What do you know about pulling forks, and replacing fork seals. That's what I was trying to get on the forum about, but it wouldn't let me.. Something to the effect I dont have the privilege to go there? I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate through this, and really wanted to try and get technical advice, over social media. Maybe you can steer me in the right direction that I have the privilege to participate.. Thanks for the welcome...

Go to the home page of the fourm and look for the topic that best fits your issue or question. In your case it would fit under Chassis suspension and front end. Open a new thread and post your issue.

Hopefully this will get you started.

Back