free website stats program resurrecting older sportster | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

resurrecting older sportster

. Today, I pulled the plugs, put it in gear and turned the rear wheel. Oil spurted out of the back cylinder. None out of the spark plug hole on the front cylinder, but then I realized it was coming out of the exhaust. This does not seem right.

It depends on what stroke the cylinder was on as to where the oil will come out .

Glider - man you must live here. Thanks for the response. So, probably if continued the process the oil would have eventually come out the front plug, too, then the rear exhaust. I am starting to get a grip on the valves/pushrods and their relationship with the pistons, but just not there yet.

Oh, yes one more issue. Front tire appears too big. Rubs front fender - had to pull fender to easily move bike.
Manual shows MJ90-19. The tire on the bike has only the numbers 100/90-19 and 57H. I forget the brand name - Michelin I think. I know I will be replacing these tires soon - they look good, barely used, but their age pretty much makes them suspect.
But this would seem to be correct tire or am I reading this wrong. Probably stupid question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glider - man you must live here.

Oh, yes one more issue. Front tire appears too big. Rubs front fender - had to pull fender to easily move bike.
Manual shows MJ90-19. The tire on the bike has only the numbers 100/90-19 and 57H. I forget the brand name - Michelin I think. I know I will be replacing these tires soon - they look good, barely used, but their age pretty much makes them suspect.
But this would seem to be correct tire or am I reading this wrong. Probably stupid question.

Yep, I have a room down at the bottom of the forum :bigsmiley20:

As far as the tire, I don't have a listing on that year as to the proper size but if it is rubbing, I would hazard a guess that it is the wrong tire for the bike unless there is any damage to the front end.

Hmmm-i have a 100 90/19 on my 89' and it clears the front fender (no mods)my tire guy allowed that the next size up would rub and a size smaller wasnt available??Stock tire i DO NOT KNOW but just curious as to why mine has clearence but yours dont. thats kinda puzzlin.

Got the sporty running this weekend. Man what a blast to ride. Quite the difference to the older FLT.
Took her in for inspection and new tires this morning. Bike ran pretty good. Indy took it for a test ride and the rear brake locked up on him. Ended up leaving it with him. Will get it back Tuesday.
Cold natured beast this morning. But I did not use the enricher enough. Took several tries for the bike to start running.

Back