free website stats program Resurection attempt after 7 years (the bike, not me) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Resurection attempt after 7 years (the bike, not me)

cityhawg, just went thru something similar, and after I re-did everything "inside" the tank, I still didnt have any flow to the injectors.. Turned out I needed a new "gas supply" hose(from tank to injectors)...
Got a part number?

Enjoy,
Rich P

2003 FLSTFI resurection update #1

So here is where I am. Thanks to all the great info on this site and a few great tips from some gurus here, I managed to get to (what I hope is the 1/2 way mark to my work).

1 - Bike sat for 7 years after being run only 7,000mi
2 - Runs if you squirt fuel into the pistons
3 - Traced no fuel delivery all the way to the tank
4 - Pulled out the fuel pump assy and:
-a- found the infamous fuel pump line already showing lots of wear & tear, where it rubs against the tank (that would have leaked in the near future)
-b- sleeve holding the fuel pump in place is (literally), disintegrading. Touching it, flakes it off instantly
-c- the inner lining in the tank looks like drops of paint remover fell in there
5 - Bought KLEEN (3 step), innner tank cleaner/reliner - will start that job tomorrow morning
6 - Bought new fuel lines, fuel filter, part manual & service manual

I'm learning a lot here, unfortunately I'm out about $250 so far but I think it's well worth it (especially the manuals...NICE!). I priced this work out there and I would have easily been out about $1,000 up to this point.

Posting this so hopefully this will help anyone out there.

And thanks to those that helped. :newsmile01:

Re: 2003 FLSTFI resurection update #1

So here is where I am. Thanks to all the great info on this site and a few great tips from some gurus here, I managed to get to (what I hope is the 1/2 way mark to my work).

1 - Bike sat for 7 years after being run only 7,000mi
2 - Runs if you squirt fuel into the pistons
3 - Traced no fuel delivery all the way to the tank
4 - Pulled out the fuel pump assy and:
-a- found the infamous fuel pump line already showing lots of wear & tear, where it rubs against the tank (that would have leaked in the near future)
-b- sleeve holding the fuel pump in place is (literally), disintegrading. Touching it, flakes it off instantly
-c- the inner lining in the tank looks like drops of paint remover fell in there
5 - Bought KLEEN (3 step), innner tank cleaner/reliner - will start that job tomorrow morning
6 - Bought new fuel lines, fuel filter, part manual & service manual

I'm learning a lot here, unfortunately I'm out about $250 so far but I think it's well worth it (especially the manuals...NICE!). I priced this work out there and I would have easily been out about $1,000 up to this point.

Posting this so hopefully this will help anyone out there.

And thanks to those that helped. :newsmile01:
I strongly recommend replacing the fuel pressure regulator while you are in there. It is not so expensive, and you may find that when varnished, it can stick open. Mine did, INTERMITTENTLY.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Re: 2003 FLSTFI resurection update #1

I strongly recommend replacing the fuel pressure regulator while you are in there. It is not so expensive, and you may find that when varnished, it can stick open. Mine did, INTERMITTENTLY.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Excellent point - I'm picking it up tomorrow AM. No sense taking a risk like that for $38, just to run into square 1. Thanks RibEye!

Back