free website stats program Respect from auto drivers to motorcycle drivers | Harley Davidson Forums

Respect from auto drivers to motorcycle drivers

LoverofLife

As I drive around in my SUV I see more and more bikers out there on the road. I see them wave to each other, much like we do in my line to work to fellow EMS/Fire personnel and police do to each other. I assume that's a matter of respect and just saying "Hey how ya doing?"

Also, it peaves me when I see other auto drivers get up on the tail or try and cut off motorcycle drivers on the road. I try and put at least a car length between me and a biker if I see one. What is appropriate for auto/biker etiqutte?

I agree with your observations. I have always given cyclists a little extra room as I know that they are vulnerable. I had a car a ft from the back of my bike the other day. We cant change them so we have to make sure we are following the safest practices. It doesn't help when there are a number of riders that are cutting of cages. I got cut off by a guy on a cruiser this morning in my cage, guy was driving like an idiot. I wont even mention the sport bike guys...

As I drive around in my SUV I see more and more bikers out there on the road. I see them wave to each other, much like we do in my line to work to fellow EMS/Fire personnel and police do to each other. I assume that's a matter of respect and just saying "Hey how ya doing?"

Also, it peaves me when I see other auto drivers get up on the tail or try and cut off motorcycle drivers on the road. I try and put at least a car length between me and a biker if I see one. What is appropriate for auto/biker etiqutte?

Better give us more tha a cars length, we can stop a lot faster than a car! As for what's approiate, be alert, most cage drivers are ablivious to their surrondings, even when they see you, it's as if they don't care and still pull in front of you or cut you short. As I drive by them, I honk and shake my head at em! I also avoid them at all cost and constantly assess the road.

Assume they are all TRYING to kill you......

When I read the above post it brought back a memory of something that I really wanted to forget.

A number of years ago but not decades a gent at work was telling me this story. According to him a young man was visiting one of his kids. The young man visiting rode a motorcycle to this families home. (Don't know the brand or make of the bike). It seems the motorcycle was parked perhaps in the drive-way or yard. During his visit different folks there started passing a football back and forth in the yard.

(Now here is where this gets very sick)...This gent then told me he ran over to catch the passed football and deliberately ran into this kids cycle and knocked it over. However he was acting as though it was an accident. I don't know what damage there was if any. However this party bragged to me that..."I bet he don't ride that cycle over to my house anymore."

Now that goes to show you what some people think of motorcycle riders. I could not believe that this guy would even have the nerve to even tell me this story, but he did, braggingly so. From that day on I had no respect for this individual and furthermore did my best to avoid him, in that in my opinion...the dude was a whacko,....plain sick and twisted. Not to mention being a boob and a goober.

With the attitude this gent has, I wonder if he don't get up every morning, then drive out to see how many cycles he can cut off or run off the rode?

When I read the above post it brought back a memory of something that I really wanted to forget.

A number of years ago but not decades a gent at work was telling me this story. According to him a young man was visiting one of his kids. The young man visiting rode a motorcycle to this families home. (Don't know the brand or make of the bike). It seems the motorcycle was parked perhaps in the drive-way or yard. During his visit different folks there started passing a football back and forth in the yard.

(Now here is where this gets very sick)...This gent then told me he ran over to catch the passed football and deliberately ran into this kids cycle and knocked it over. However he was acting as though it was an accident. I don't know what damage there was if any. However this party bragged to me that..."I bet he don't ride that cycle over to my house anymore."

Now that goes to show you what some people think of motorcycle riders. I could not believe that this guy would even have the nerve to even tell me this story, but he did, braggingly so. From that day on I had no respect for this individual and furthermore did my best to avoid him, in that in my opinion...the dude was a whacko,....plain sick and twisted. Not to mention being a boob and a goober.

With the attitude this gent has, I wonder if he don't get up every morning, then drive out to see how many cycles he can cut off or run off the rode?

Some people are jut dumb. Amazing that he would telling you this knowing that you ride. What an idiot. It is people like that that are in a cage that you have to watch out for. Too bad there isn't a warning on their cage that they hate motorcycles.

i don't know why in the world people want to do stuff so stupid. he is lucky that guy didn't beat his tail. it will all come back around to him.

When you ride the open wind............you have to ride like every one else on the road drive's like an idiot (and most do). I just got back from a 5,200 mile trip out to Vegas, down to Arizona, up through Utah, Colorado and then back to Ohio. Every major city that I was in......I would have been killed or injured badly if not for riding on the defense.

As far as how much room to give.........if you are too close to me, I am sure going to let you know about. And I can tell you this.........you won't like how you are told! But you won't forget to leave room for the next bike you come across.:s

I had a van come up behind me just last week that was within three feet of my rear. I saw him coming and gave the benefit of a doubt that he would soon see the error of his ways. After about 100 yards........I first gave the turn around look (you know the one). Then he got the verbal warning! That was enough for him to back WAAAAAAAY off.d well.....at least I didn't have to resort to phase three. That one always seems to give bikers a bad (uh....worse) name.:p

When you ride the open wind............you have to ride like every one else on the road drive's like an idiot (and most do). I just got back from a 5,200 mile trip out to Vegas, down to Arizona, up through Utah, Colorado and then back to Ohio. Every major city that I was in......I would have been killed or injured badly if not for riding on the defense.

As far as how much room to give.........if you are too close to me, I am sure going to let you know about. And I can tell you this.........you won't like how you are told! But you won't forget to leave room for the next bike you come across.:s

I had a van come up behind me just last week that was within three feet of my rear. I saw him coming and gave the benefit of a doubt that he would soon see the error of his ways. After about 100 yards........I first gave the turn around look (you know the one). Then he got the verbal warning! That was enough for him to back WAAAAAAAY off.d well.....at least I didn't have to resort to phase three. That one always seems to give bikers a bad (uh....worse) name.:p

Out of curiosity, what is hte third way?

One reason I ask this is because on the city streets I find it difficult to try and show decent room to the cyclist when I'm out there, mainly becuase of the other idiots that out there. A number of times when I am driving to work or even to the grocery store I will encounter a biker whom I will allow in front of me if I see they wwant/need in front, but then some dumb ass in another vehicle pulls up on my rear to where I feel he's giving me a proctology exam ( you know the types) and then I try and get away from him as safely as possible but then I remember the cyclist in front of me and I worry about getting to close to them. Most of my driving ime consists of rush hour when I'm going to work. I know I can't count on the other idiots to be the same way as I am, but I endeavour to show some respect and courtesy to those riding motorcycles out there.

If I was on the roadway riding a cycle I would want to avoid a squabble or hostile verbal confrontation with someone in a vehicle...to me it could be like a pea-shooter going up against a Bazooka. A nut in a car/truck is always going to win up against a person on a much lighter cycle. Hence screaming, giving the finger, and all of that while riding on a cycle to someone in a car or truck; May just taunt someone who might just run you down. Then the undertaker might take over....and the gent in the cage is long gone.

Back