free website stats program Replacing swingarm on a 2003 Deuce... Difficultly level? | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing swingarm on a 2003 Deuce... Difficultly level?

2003Deuce_Custom

Account Removed
Hey everybody,
I'm looking at changing out my banged up swingarm for a brand new chrome one. I've done most of the work to my bike myself (most of the front end to include handlebars, cables, wiring, as well as extended forward controls, new pipes, etc) so I wouldn't consider myself to be a novice; however, I've never messed with the transmission (other than to replace a cover or two and an outter primary cover on a 2005 Super Glide). So here is question number one... On a level of one to ten, how would you rate the difficultly level of replacing the swingarm?

I figured while I was at it, I'd throw on a chain drive (which probably would require a new wheel)... I don't know if I can afford all of that... I guess I'll take it one thing at a time. If I can successfully change the swingarm, then I can probably successfully swap out the belt drive for a chain drive later on. Anyway, does anyone have any information on how to swap a belt drive for a chain drive?

Thanks!

Re: Replacing swing arm on a 2003 Deuce... Difficultly level?

As hobbit said replacing the swing arm isn't to difficult a job but may find it a little more tricky to change the belt drive for a chain
as the primary has to be removed to get at the drive pulley
you may need some special tools to remove the primary so read a service manual first to see what may be required and be prepared for it

Brian

As some of you know about my belt swap....lol....from experience changing out swing arm is not hard just take your time an watch how stuff comes apart....and don't misplace any washers....lol.....last time in took me a couple hours to remove primary and swing arm to replace final drive belt......manual was a God send....lol....
Tony

Thanks for the advise. You've all been a huge help. I think I'm ready for this (tools, lift, service manual, etc). One thing that has helped me out enormously is taking pictures, step by step, of everything I do as I go along. I've posted another thread on replacing the belt with a chain and have had a lot questions, such as why... Primarily for aesthetics, but also to give the bike a retro look... I'm not so sure if this is a task I'll be able to tackle by myself without the use of a garage... I'll keep y'all posted!

Thanks for the advise. You've all been a huge help. I think I'm ready for this (tools, lift, service manual, etc). One thing that has helped me out enormously is taking pictures, step by step, of everything I do as I go along. I've posted another thread on replacing the belt with a chain and have had a lot questions, such as why... Primarily for aesthetics, but also to give the bike a retro look... I'm not so sure if this is a task I'll be able to tackle by myself without the use of a garage... I'll keep y'all posted!

can you post the step by step pics that you took i want to change the swing arm bearings on my bike . i dont have a manual on how to do it.
thanks
tom

Changing a swing arm isn't difficult but it takes a time. Changing swing arm bearings also isn't difficult. But you may use a hydraulic press (it has each machine shop) or socket. If you want change also a belt it will be harder and than you need some special tools, eg for removing trans pulley. Just read manual (it can be also Clymer - I like it) and go ...

Make sure you support the engine/tranny BEFORE you pull the pivot shaft out.

TQ

I think reading up and digging in always works good for me! especially if you learn from mistakes

good luck

Back