free website stats program replacing stock belt guard with chrome | Harley Davidson Forums

replacing stock belt guard with chrome

Ken S.

My concren with changing the belt guard from the stock black to chrome is the nut on the shock that has to be removed.

? If I take the nut off I want to be sure the shock bolt will stay where it is until I can slip on the chrome belt guard. Any experiences with doing this?

Thanks all.
Ken

Bolt will stay in place. Had mine off many times. If you don't remove the other shock, its not hard to put back in.

One word of caution.Those belt guards and mounting tabs are easy to bend.I put one on my softail and inadvertantly moved one mounting tab.Got all done and went to back it out of the garage only to see a nice fresh scratch in my rear pulley.Check all your clearances closely when done.

Took me about 8 hours to put my on i guess the had over turqued my bolt on when i got the shocks adjusted at the dealership, I even manage to break the black factory belt guard. I also did the mistake of taking the whole bolt off and then I had to pick the back of the bike up manually just enought so that I could put the bolt back on!! That was an awful experience i thought i pulled something

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 22
Back