free website stats program replacing rear jug gasket | Harley Davidson Forums

replacing rear jug gasket

abe69

Looks like I'll need to replace rear base jug gasket and pushrod block gasket on my 91 ultra. My question is can anyone provide me with the take apart order and if I'll need any special HD tools. Thanks for your help!!

Looks like I'll need to replace rear base jug gasket and pushrod block gasket on my 91 ultra. My question is can anyone provide me with the take apart order and if I'll need any special HD tools. Thanks for your help!!

I have a '91 also, and replacing the base gaskets is not that tough. But I strongly agree with what Glider said above. Get the Factory Service Manual covering your model and year. The HD manual is better than the aftermarket ones.

Couple of thoughts here:

• This job is WAY easier with the engine sitting on a bench or on the floor rather than in the chassis
  • Once you have the heads off and start to pull the jugs, BE CAREFUL that the pistons don't flop around and damage the case or the pistons
  • REPLACE the main studs and the head nuts
  • Stuff some rags or tape off the cylinder ports in the case after the jugs are off so nothing falls in the case!!
  • While you are this far, it pays to do valve job, rings, hone cylinders at least

Good luck with your project, and the folks here are always interested in these kinds of projects, so keep up informed. And LOTS of pix are great!!

TQ

Back