free website stats program Replacing HD Oil with Spectro voids my warranty? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing HD Oil with Spectro voids my warranty?

Kman; You also do not have to have the services performed by the dealer to keep your warranty valid. You can do it yourself or take it elsewhere. All that is required is documentation that it was done. With the money you save by doing it yourself, you can buy some nice tools, and you will have a "closer" relationship with your bike.

I was talking to the service Manager about Spectro and he had no idea what the difference between a blended and true synthetic was. I don't want to jepordize this guys employment but I want the best for my bike and this guy has no idea about products other than HD. I have just ordered a 09 Service Manual, does anyone know if it states anything about what brand of oil is approved by HD in this manual?

The service tech at my local independent dealer didn't know why a lot of people were requesting Spectro instead of the HD oil. I explained to him that Spectro is fully synthetic while HD is a blend. He didn't know that but he definitely knew the difference between a full synthetic and a blend. Not knowing the difference would give me serious concern about the qualifications of your service manager and that would give me serious concerns about the qualifications of the techs that he supervises. I'd use another dealer even if you have to ride 100 miles to get to him.

Support your local independently owned shop, who employs certified mechanics. Ask around, talk to the local area HD riders to get the heads-up on which are the better shops. The only time I stop by a Harley dealer location, is if they are having a function or event that I support... Better yet, wrench on your own scooter.

Well after hours of phone calls and talking to every posible source of certified mechanics here's what I have to update.

1-the service manager that informed me that I would void my warranty was completely out of line for saying that. This came directly from the owner of the dealership.

2-If a products meets or exceeds a recommended product, the MoCo has the right to void a warranty if that certain product was found to be the definative cause of engine/transmission failure. And though they have never encountered this at most of the shops I spoke with, they all said the same thing, manufactures will try to blame everyone and anyone so as not to have to pay out.
3-most of the service managers from other dealers and reputable bike shops all run FULL synthetics (including Spectro) in their own scoots and would have it no other way.

4-I am looking forward to doing all the work myself.

THANKS to all who responded and gave me some really good advise.

Hey Guys,

This is the response I got vis email after posing the questions about synthetic oil other than HD products. I like the DEEPER ISSUES comment. This is from Chris Barnes of Barnes Harley Davidson:

Thanks for your response on this matter. I am sorry that you feel the way you do but must assume that you have deeper issues than what was presented in our phone conversation. All I stated was the answer to your question concerning the issues that may arise if you chose to use an aftermarket oil product. I hope that we can retain a business relationship so that all your current and any future concerns can be addressed.
I have asked Tony (Service manager) to contact you about any questions that you may have. Thank You

I am a man of my word.
I had a long talk with the dealership. What they are saying is you could have a warranty problem if you do not run Hd oils and lube. They are careful not to say you will.
This is a scare tactic. I worded my question carefully and gave them all the room in the world to explain them self. I was clear the speech was well rehearsed. They stayed on tack every time they repeated it. The key words were you could have a problem if the oils were shown to be the reason for the failure. When ask what the out come would be if HD was shown to be the reason for a failure to response was offered.
This is the first time I have ever had a dealer try this. I for one would never set foot in the door there.
I would also recommend that every Hd owner give them a call or email and let them know what you think.

Smitty, Thanks for making the call to the dealership. I just wanted to let everyone know that they seem to be backtracking now. I was told 100% that my warranty would be absolutely void.

As long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the manufacturers oil, they can't do a thing to you. THEY have to prove it was the oil (your oil) that caused a problem.

Kudos Smitty, whats there E mail we should all send them a happy gram LOL to let them know how we feel, Jack

Hey Guys,

This is the response I got vis email after posing the questions about synthetic oil other than HD products. I like the DEEPER ISSUES comment. This is from Chris Barnes of Barnes Harley Davidson:

Thanks for your response on this matter. I am sorry that you feel the way you do but must assume that you have deeper issues than what was presented in our phone conversation. All I stated was the answer to your question concerning the issues that may arise if you chose to use an aftermarket oil product. I hope that we can retain a business relationship so that all your current and any future concerns can be addressed.
I have asked Tony (Service manager) to contact you about any questions that you may have. Thank You

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if the Harley Davidson Co. has ever wondered, just how much the slowing of sales has to do with the poor reputation the HD dealerships are giving the Harley Davidson name. To bad we can't buy our new HD bikes from some place besides the steelerships in question...

I just sent an email to chris barnes with a copy of my previous post on it. We need to let the dealers know that we are aware of the things they do and we are sharing them amongst ourselvesand the whole HD community at large...

Back