free website stats program replacing exhaust gaskets | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

replacing exhaust gaskets

I'd bet that if you got that much movement out of them (2 1/2 ) turns after torqueing them correctly they are probably not reuseable at this point, and the possibility exists that the retaining ring under the flange is now deformed. This is one of those fasteners that probably is not really torque critical even though there is a listed spec in the manual. More often than not, like your Harley tech, I wont use a torque wrench on these fasteners. What I normally do however is use a 1/4" drive ratchet for these nuts, not only does the 1/4" stuff fit much better in that confined space but it also has much less leverage so the possibility for over torqueing is greatly reduced.

I know that on my softail I must have had the exhaust off no less than a dozen times and still have the original gaskets in it from when I put it together 8 yrs ago, and obviously never an exhaust leak.

Another thing I do that I have'nt seen anyone else do, is to use Ny-Lock nuts on the exhaust. They seem to stand up to the heat OK. I think I have replaced them only once, maybe twice over the last 8 yrs.

and oh I got the se gaskets

Don't you need wire mesh taper gaskets on your header pipes? I thought the SE gaskets were not available in the taper style.

I am just going by what I learned when I replaced mine. I have factory stock header pipes that have the "ball swivel" end on them. I thought the SE gaskets were not for that style. (?)

Another thing I do that I have'nt seen anyone else do, is to use Ny-Lock nuts on the exhaust. They seem to stand up to the heat OK.

That's amazing. I would have guessed Ny-locks would not have a chance with that heat. I never checked it but I would think it's gotta be 400*F on those studs.

Where did you get them. Are they a special "for heat" version?

when I got the gaskets they didnt say anything about needing the other ones that are coned shape and I dont have the factory pipes i have v&h race exhuast and as far as the ring being deformed now ???? now you got me worried Im leaving for va beach saturday morning and im riding down from pa and really dont have much time left to be pulling them back off or have to go back to the hd shop cause its over a hour from me and I might of exaggerated probably more like a full to full and a half turn and Im use a torque wrech set at 120 in lbs so really cant over tighten it

If they aint leaking, ride it like you stole it! You'll know it if they are leaking.

well that just sux just lost the whole post.....

Any how dont sweat it if they arent leaking.....

Hoople I just use plain old hardware store s.s. ny-loks

Back