free website stats program Replacing clutch hub bearing | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing clutch hub bearing

roadking01

Contributor
I've been chasing a noise in my primary for a while and found that the clutch hub moves when I rock it back and forth, my bike 2001 roadking has 140k miles, 80k of which are all mine and I've never changed the hub bearing or the main shaft bearing for that matter.
So I decided that it's time to do so while the primary is open.
I called the dealer to get a quote to replace the bearing on the hub and the inner primary cover with me taking the inner primary and hub to them along with the parts needed all they need to do is press the bearings off and on. I was quoted $150 or 1-1/2 labor hours, does this sound right?
any feed back is appreciated.

Gus

That does not sound right. It should only take 10 minutes to press out the old and press in the new bearing.

I bought a 20 ton shop press from harbor freight for $160. and bearing press kit also for about $20. if you've got room in your garage for the press, it's a good tool to have. you can change those bearings out yourself, and use the old clutch hub bearing (after you take it apart) to press in the new one. (refrigerate new bearing before installing)
The dealer wanted to charge an hour per wheel in labor for the wheel bearings. That's $164 right there. The press payed for itself in one afternoon.

Thanks for the reply geezer, that's what I thought by checking the service manual but since I've never actually pull the clutch hub appart I thought I was missing something, and I told the guy on the phone a couple of time that I was bringing the parts not the bike and he stuck to his guns so right after I got off the phone I started looking for alternatives and found a 12 ton shop press from harbor freight from $126 so I figured for what the dealer was charging me I could pay for the press plus shipping so I ordered the press and will be doing the work myself this weekend and have a press for future jobs :D

I bought a 20 ton shop press from harbor freight for $160. and bearing press kit also for about $20. if you've got room in your garage for the press, it's a good tool to have. you can change those bearings out yourself, and use the old clutch hub bearing (after you take it apart) to press in the new one. (refrigerate new bearing before installing)
The dealer wanted to charge an hour per wheel in labor for the wheel bearings. That's $164 right there. The press payed for itself in one afternoon.

Thant's exactly what I'll be doing, ElectraRob, I didn't think about cooling down the bearaing before installing it, that should make things easier, thanks for the tip.

Back