free website stats program Replacing Caliper Question | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Caliper Question

Half-way back and firm action - I'd say you're golden. New pads, new brake lines would improve your lever action, but I'd say you're good.

On your forks sticking and your bike being an '02, if you've not changed your fork oil, you may start there if they're truly sticking. Take it for a ride and get up to your normal operating range and do some testing to see if they are indeed sticking on you.

Getting ready to do this this afternoon. Had a basic question about draining the brake fluid before taking the caliper off to replace it with the new one.

Is the fluid better drained through the valve on the caliper by attaching a hose and squeezing the brake lever, or is it better to drain through the master cylinder line that goes into the caliper, and just let it drop into a container? I was thinking a little of both, starting with the valve, as since its under pressure, the fluid may spray out if I unscrew the banjo bolt first and pull the line off that way.

Thanks.
Don't drain any of it. Just put on the new caliper and start beeding and filling as it runs out till you see the nice new fluid. It will help to keep air out of the system and any moisture also.

As you all suggested, I tied the brake lever back last night to the handle with a bungee cord to relieve any excess bubbles in the line. This morning, took the bungee off and now the brake lever is solid at about 1/4 pull instead of 1/2 pull last night! As I tapped the line and m/c before releasing, I didn't see any bubbles pop up, so they must have released throughout the night.

Going for test drive this afternoon. You guys are awesome!

The way I check the brakes is to pull the lever as hard as I can with my right hand. If the lever can't be squeezed over about halfway you are good to go

I use a Sears hand pump pressure bleeder. Fill the hand pump resivour and using a small clear line fill backwards, into the bleeder and out the master cylinder with new fluid.
When you drain it drain it all out caliper and the line and you see the dirty fluid. Humm?
If your going to go there do it right and replace all of it.
the kit is cheap $60.00 but well worth the fast hard pressure you'll achieve.

Back