free website stats program replacement wheel bearings 2010 ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

replacement wheel bearings 2010 ultra

pjciii

getting ready to put on new tires front and rear prior to sturgis. the ultra has 47xxx on her and i was thinking about going ahead and replacing wheel bearings at the same time, this time. Good idea, bad idea? is there a better brand than the OEM bearings, suggestions. she does have ABS if that makes a difference.
thanks in advance
patrick

I have over 50k on my 2010 and have not replaced the bearings.
No noise and no side to side movement.

i dont have any problems either. is it one of thos "if it ain't broke" or just something that should be done at a certian mileage. i havent looked in my service manual. just shopping online for tires

getting ready to put on new tires front and rear prior to sturgis. the ultra has 47xxx on her and i was thinking about going ahead and replacing wheel bearings at the same time, this time. Good idea, bad idea? is there a better brand than the OEM bearings, suggestions. she does have ABS if that makes a difference.
thanks in advance
patrick
Wheel bearing are suppose to last longer than in the "old" days but it seems the bikes with ABS are having a problem.

Talked to a fellow the other day at the dealership that had a bad wheel bearing on his 2010 ABS bike.
Had the extended warranty. What would have been $350 was only $50.
Do a search. Seems ABS bikes are having a high rate of bearing problems.

We had a pretty good thread about wheel bearings a while back. Maybe a search will find it. It seems that the trusted bearing names Timkin and Torrington have been sold to off-shore producers (Kymco??). Here's two links for suppliers
All Balls Individual Wheel Bearing - I.D. x O.D. x W (0.75x52x21) 20-1013-2RS or BKRider: Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, upgrades, discount motorcycle supplies, motorcycle equipment, custom motorcycle parts, Harley Davidson, motorcycle supplier
With that many miles, I would change them out.

If they are sealed bearings, you probably wont need to replace them. Make sure the seal is not cut or torn. Check on the ABS issue, but I would not make the change yet. Just my .02

Thanks for the suggestions. Since wheels are going to be off I think I will go ahead and replace bearings. Seems of the OEM bearings the one for abs side is a little different. Going to also look at Timkin to see what they offer. Can't say that I have had any trouble with the OEM bearings, the whole oz of prevention. Been looking at tires. Anyone have a review on commander II? I was looking into night dragons. Loved them on my road king but I can get a heck of a deal on commanders. Actually have nothing but good to say about 407 and 408's. Have 20000+ on front and still more than 3/32 left but not by much and 16000+ on rear which I will keep when I put the new ones on.

Just late night prattling. Again thanks for suggestions

Patrick

Back