free website stats program Replacement Speedometer trouble!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacement Speedometer trouble!!

bullitt53

I have the new Analog combo speedo/tach part # 70900072 I want to install on my '09 Heritage classic. This speedometer was on my brother's 2010 Heritage & I inherited over the winter when he upgraded to an Ultra Classic. I finally found the data connector under the seat for the speedometer on Saturday morning and hooked everything up as per the instructions. It said it would take a bit to transfer the info & it would say when done. I had a red light on the lower right of the speedo come on for about 2 seconds & that was it. The speedo is still showing his mileage. I didn't want to install the new one & find out it wouldn't pick up my mileage. After a couple of trys I got the message VIN ERR, looks like the speedo is still tied to the previous bike. I had this message from another form : That speedo gets married to the ECM after 1000 miles. It will only work properly on your bother's bike.

Any ideas? , may have to make a trip to the dealer.

I have the new Analog combo speedo/tach part # 70900072 I want to install on my '09 Heritage classic. This speedometer was on my brother's 2010 Heritage & I inherited over the winter when he upgraded to an Ultra Classic. I finally found the data connector under the seat for the speedometer on Saturday morning and hooked everything up as per the instructions. It said it would take a bit to transfer the info & it would say when done. I had a red light on the lower right of the speedo come on for about 2 seconds & that was it. The speedo is still showing his mileage. I didn't want to install the new one & find out it wouldn't pick up my mileage. After a couple of trys I got the message VIN ERR, looks like the speedo is still tied to the previous bike. I had this message from another form : That speedo gets married to the ECM after 1000 miles. It will only work properly on your bother's bike.

Any ideas? , may have to make a trip to the dealer.

Welcome to The Forum. The dealer will have to reflash this speedo and put YOUR mileage on it

Went to the dealer on Saturday. Technician said that after 1000 miles, the speedo was married to the original bike & there was nothing they could do. Doesn't make sense that the speedo is now a $300 paperwieght.

Went to the dealer on Saturday. Technician said that after 1000 miles, the speedo was married to the original bike & there was nothing they could do. Doesn't make sense that the speedo is now a $300 paperwieght.

LAWS are Very TIGHT on changing speedo Mileage but I know of NO Law problem changing out a speedo, IF Done within it...

HD shop just wants to Make $$$$$$$$$$ and that is their LAW...:guitar

I would seek out a private Company that does Speedo's and try there...

signed....BUBBIE

Back