free website stats program Replacement battery for 05XL1200R | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacement battery for 05XL1200R

capnjapseye

Me again................. does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement battery for the OEM battery 65958-04? Hopefully one with the terminals the right way round! Today I had one delivered from a local motor factor supplier and the terminals were +ve on the left and -ve on the right. The Varta YTX14-BS also has the terminals a about f.

Me again................. does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement battery for the OEM battery 65958-04? Hopefully one with the terminals the right way round! Today I had one delivered from a local motor factor supplier and the terminals were +ve on the left and -ve on the right. The Varta YTX14-BS also has the terminals a about f.

Sorry for asking the dumb question, but were you dissatisfied with the HD OEM battery? I am sure the maker is probably Yuasa or one of the major battery makers, but I am sure inquiring minds want to know as you have tried at least two aftermarket brands already...:28:

The existing battery appears to be the original supplied with the bike in 2005. It's now nearly 4 years old. I've had this bike for only about one month and all the time it's been here in my garage there has been an Optimiser connected. The battery seems to struggle to turn over the motor if left off the charger for, say, one day. I therefore conclude that the battery is on it's way out and decided to replace it. Therefore I thought I would ask the chaps and chappesses here if they know of a suitable after market replacement. The HD OEM batt appears to be about 95 quid (ish). I would expect a suitable alternative to be (probably) half of that.

In some cases you get what you pay for. Compare the CCA (cold cranking amps) between the two and the warranty. The HD batteries are usually the better buy IMO.

The existing battery appears to be the original supplied with the bike in 2005. It's now nearly 4 years old. I've had this bike for only about one month and all the time it's been here in my garage there has been an Optimiser connected. The battery seems to struggle to turn over the motor if left off the charger for, say, one day. I therefore conclude that the battery is on it's way out and decided to replace it. Therefore I thought I would ask the chaps and chappesses here if they know of a suitable after market replacement. The HD OEM batt appears to be about 95 quid (ish). I would expect a suitable alternative to be (probably) half of that.

On my '04 Sporty I had corrosion on the battery cable contacts (not bad, but the physical connections should be shiny...had to scrape 'em with a pocket knife and flushed with BrakeKleen over rags, wiped dry and coated with dielectric grease...all 4 connections including the Battery Tender harness rings, battery contacts (lead oxide is dark gray, also should be shiny).
Also is it winter (30 deg) cold outside? Battery won't have as much reserve, make sure fresh V-Twin Synthetic 20W/50 in the engine; Gearoil/Chain/Clutch has fresh 85W, so it spins up easily. I still have HD OEM battery in mine and it has been on the charger once a month to keep surface charge up, without overcharging. I ride mine 4-5 days a week and week ends when I can. :57:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I could have been a little hasty here - maybe I should check and clean all the connections and maybe then put the battery on test to see what the discharge rate is.

Thanks for the advice. I could have been a little hasty here - maybe I should check and clean all the connections and maybe then put the battery on test to see what the discharge rate is.

Yep, do the routine maintenance first, charge the battery overnight and this time, when you start the engine, note that the headlight will dim, but should not go out! If it does, battery fails your impromptu "reserve" cold cranking voltage under load test...(your electronic ignition needs at least 7-9V to give enough spark to ignite engine)...so it is likely your battery. :yes

FYI, if your cold weather starts are okay, but the no start/slow start condition happens only with the engine hot...it could be your battery, but likely your starter, as now the engine is tight, and high compression coupled with hot starter under load needs to be factored in, but that's another story. Tell us how things worked out! :D

Back