free website stats program Replaced wires & bike is still shutting down | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced wires & bike is still shutting down

ironmark

The right handle bar wires going to the switch assembly were pinched over a year ago & I have been having problems with the bike ever sense . The bike will run fine @ low or medium throttle but when I get on the throttle over 3/4 of the way the bike will shut down and go into the limp home mode , it will not do it all the time . The problem has been getting worse so I replaced the entire right hand wires & switch assembly . I replaced the wires & switch assembly because when ever the bike shut down I would remove the right switch assembly and wiggle the wires a the codes would clear . The bike is still shutting down so now I am lost and I dont have any idea what the problem could be . I am considering taking the bike to the dealer ( HD mechanic pinch the wires ) because now they can not use the wires as a problem , so even if I cleared the codes would the dealer be able to access the computer & pull up the past codes ? Also would a problem with the security system cause this kind of problem ? everytime I ride the bike I can not ride I have to baby it & I can not go far for fear of being stuck on the side of the road ( happened a few weeks ago ) I am getting pretty frustrated .

The bike is still coming up with the P1511 code throttle actuator control power management failure of throttle control actuator , this code comes up when the bike goes into limp home mode , then I get the P2135 code which is throttle positioning sensor correlation error , the TPS is located on the Throttle Control Actuator ( TCA ) which is on the 08 & up models . I would think that the TPS would either be good or bad there would be no intermintant problems , to replace the TPS you have to replace the entire TCA . I only have this problem when I get on the throttle & it does not happen all the time , I am thinking that the vibration causes a electrical connection to lose it contact and the TPS does not get a reading which puts the bike into limp home mode . I am courious if the HD tech can pull up the codes after I cleared them , also if there was a problem with the security system like a lose connection or bad ground or even a low battery in the FOB would the computer read that and shut the bike down ??

I would think that the TPS would either be good or bad there would be no intermintant problems ,

I have not tested a TPS on an HD but if it is anything like a TPS in the automotive industry, they Rarely go solid failure and 99% of the time they are intermittent. They are potentiometers that develope flat spots that you can easily check with a continuity beeper using a DVM.

On my '09 Dyna, the TPS is mounted directly on the throttle body. I only have mechanical cables that go to the throttle body.

That should not be a difficult part/cable to check if you have the schematics.
The Electrical Diagnostic manual (not the general service manual) should take you step by step into that code.

Hoop!

The resistive element (1) of the shown device is trapezoidal, giving a non-linear relationship between resistance and turn angle. The wiper (3) rotates with the axis (4), providing the changeable resistance between the wiper contact (6) and the fixed contacts (5) and (9). The vertical position of the axis is fixed in the body (2) with the ring (7) (below) and the bolt (8) (above).

The TPS can develop a bad spot at any part of the winding and will result in a skip or other problem when that part of the circuit is used.
Hoop is spot on when it comes to electronics and you should follow what he said as far as testing the TPS.
You can even use the analog volt meter and watch for a smooth sweep as you actuate the TPS. Any stumbles in the meter when actuating the TPS would indicate a bad TPS.

Testing TPS Values on Fuel Injection - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Like they say Hoop, a picture is worth a thousand words :D

PS. That isn't the Harley TPS but a reasonable depiction of one.

So is the TPS in the throttle by wire bike the twistgrip sensor ? Because the TBW bikes have no throttle cable system & on the throttle body ( injection module assembly ) there is no TPS . According to the 08 HD touring service manual pg-4-22 the induction module assembly has
1-front fuel injector
2-purge tube fitting cap
3-mounting bracket
4-TCA ( throttle control actuator )
5-T-map sensors
6-rear fuel injector
7-fuel rail
8-fuel supply tube
Or is the TPS part of the TCA ?
According to the sevice manual pg-4-19 it states ( The TCA is not sold separately . Damage or failure requires complete replacement of the induction module . Also note that tampering or removing TCA cover voids warranty . Nowhere in the service manual can I find any refrence to a TPS .

I think you said somewhere above that the wiring problem was the start of this issue, and that the wiring mess-up was done by the Dealership. Why are you having to fiddle with this? Isn't the Dealership standing behind the work they did? Also, isn't the bike covered by warranty?

TQ

I think you said somewhere above that the wiring problem was the start of this issue, and that the wiring mess-up was done by the Dealership. Why are you having to fiddle with this? Isn't the Dealership standing behind the work they did? Also, isn't the bike covered by warranty?

TQ

The bike is still covered under warranty & NO the dealer will not stand behind the work . I travel around the USA & I do not take the bike to the same dealer all the time .
The dealer will not replace the entire harness they will only do a quick fix , on my bike they cut the outer cover & wiggled the wires and sent me down the road .
Even if I could get this covered by warranty the dealer would only fix the the wire that causes the problem & would not replace the complete harness . That is why the bike is still having problems .

Back