free website stats program Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start

Take off the air cleaner and try going through the start sequence to include twisting the throttle a couple times while turning her over. Do you see/smell fuel in the throttle body?

So, if I understand correctly: with ignition to on, and switch to run, I only should have power to the fuse for a few seconds unless it is running?

If that's the case, than so far it's all good.

Bubbie wrote: Is it running ok now?

No, not at all. it won't start, not even a hint....

Jeff wrote: Do you see/smell fuel in the throttle body?

Just tried to start for about 10 seconds, while opening/closing throttle, but no, I don't see gas, and only vaguely smell gas.

What would be next? It could still be a bad system relay at this point correct?

You should have power to the fuse with the ing on. So I have this straight, your pump is cycling correct? If you have a test light see if you have power to the injector wires.

Correct. Do the check that Jeff has suggested.

Just like an injected car the pump will cycle for a few seconds to fill the fuel rail, the next step would be a fuel pressure test

OK, I'll start taking of the tank tomorrow morning, so I can get to the fuel injector wiring and do the test Jeff described.

In the meantime, hope ya'll don't mind me restating some things: Normally when switching kill switch to "run" (with ignition on) it results in a soft humming noise for a few seconds. I guess that is what is referred to as "priming" the fuel lines?
As I said this doesn't happen anymore; instead there is just this faint click. If the fuel pump doesn't hum for a few seconds and prime the high pressure side of the fuel line, she is never gonna run, correct?

Also, when the idle cable broke, she also immediately died. as Jeff wrote earlier
Just seems odd the bike quit running at the same time the cable broke.
As I was in a turn out of my driveway, I clearly had my throttle opened partially and she shouldn't have died
What am I missing?
Time for some brew.
Thank you all so far!!

All the elements are there, power to the fuse, some kind of faint hum or click in the tank. If you have power at the injectors my money is on a bad fuel pump. When the pump engages it should make a 2 to 3 second humming noise as it builds pressure. As Jack said it might be time for a fuel pressure test.

I have a few simple questions on this problem as I have never worked on an injected Harley
Which end of the idle cable snapped if it was at the throttle body the loose end may have caused damage to electrical wiring or connector
Is there a spring on the throttle body end of the idle cable as if there is did the old one come out with the old cable or is it lodged somewhere causing an issue

Brian

Hi Brian,

It broke on the grip side. Yes, there is that little spring you refer to, but as it broke on the grip side, that whole part came of neat and clean upon swapping the cable for the new one.

Before heading to work (in the car :() I was able to take of the tank canopy and use the multimeter on the power going to the pump, as in attachment.

The connector has three wires, and I measure following voltages:

11.4 between black - red (2 seconds)
4.1 between yellow - red
5.4 between yellow - black

Odd thing is that even with connector removed as in attachment I still hear that fain click and gurgling noise upon switching to run and back to stop.

Tried to get to the injector wires, but can't get to it. Guess I really have to remove the tank.

Attachments

• 2014-09-25 09.25.31.jpg
    2014-09-25 09.25.31.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 18
Back