free website stats program Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replaced idle and throttle cable, now bike won't start

Did you take the tank off when you did this? Wonder if maybe you disconnected the injector wires if you didnt remove the tank...........

That part went right over my head, I was thinking more along the line that it sounds like he has no power to the fuel pump. Just seems odd the bike quit running at the same time the cable broke.

Most of these injected bikes require moving the tank a bit to run the cables, I too am wondering if a wire got bumped?

Most of these injected bikes require moving the tank a bit to run the cables, I too am wondering if a wire got bumped?
OP stated he no longer hears the pump running when he powers up the bike. Would a loose injector wire not engage the fuel pump?

OP stated he no longer hears the pump running when he powers up the bike. Would a loose injector wire not engage the fuel pump?

If the injector didnt bleed fuel pressure off, would the pump run at all if the fuel pressure switch was satisfied? I'm a carb guy so this is all Greek to me. Just trying to think out loud to help.

If the injector didnt bleed fuel pressure off, would the pump run at all if the fuel pressure switch was satisfied? I'm a carb guy so this is all Greek to me. Just trying to think out loud to help.
I might be wrong but it seems to me every time I power it up the pump runs for a couple seconds. Don't hold me to that tho.:newsmile100:

I might be wrong but it seems to me every time I power it up the pump runs for a couple seconds. Don't hold me to that tho.:newsmile100:

Could easily be the case. If mine hums when I turn the key on somethings wrong.......:D

Ok, I am back.

Just seems odd the bike quit running at the same time the cable broke.
Never had a bike before with a "idle cable" still don't really understand what it does, but I was turning out of my driveway when the idle cable broke, and nearly fell, as the engine immediately died, so they are definitely related.

Just took the switch housing apart again. It doesn't look like I damaged any wiring there, actually it looks brand new inside.

Even though it says to do so in the shop manual, I did not lift or remove the tank, as the cables were very easy to run along the frame without touching the tank, so I can't imagine I disturbed any wiring underneath there.

Upon closer inspection I noticed the following: With the ignition switch set to ignition and switching the kill switch to "run" I hear a faint click under the tank. Switching back to "stop" results in a soft gurgling noise from the same location, I don't know how else to describe it.

But still "No Joy"

Ok, I am back.

Never had a bike before with a "idle cable" still don't really understand what it does, but I was turning out of my driveway when the idle cable broke, and nearly fell, as the engine immediately died, so they are definitely related.

Just took the switch housing apart again. It doesn't look like I damaged any wiring there, actually it looks brand new inside.

Even though it says to do so in the shop manual, I did not lift or remove the tank, as the cables were very easy to run along the frame without touching the tank, so I can't imagine I disturbed any wiring underneath there.

Upon closer inspection I noticed the following: With the ignition switch set to ignition and switching the kill switch to "run" I hear a faint click under the tank. Switching back to "stop" results in a soft gurgling noise from the same location, I don't know how else to describe it.

But still "No Joy"

On your 1st post you lead me to believe that the pump was not coming on. Best way to check is take off the gas cap, turn on ign and turn kill switch to on. Listen for the pump to come on. It should engage for a couple seconds. You described a gurgling sound, how much gas is in the tank? If it's low could you possibly have a pin hole in the hose in the tank so your not getting gas to the injectors?

Hi Jeff,

On your 1st post you lead me to believe that the pump was not coming on.

Sorry, yes. Yesterday while working on the bike I was listening to some CCR and ZZtop cruisin tunes and never noticed the sounds described above.

Normally when switching to run, I heard a soft whining noise for a few seconds while the check engine light comes on. This seems to be normal behavior.

Now, I just hear a faint click (and then nothing). Upon switching back to stop, the gurgling noise occurs.

I just read the fuel system elctrical test pages in my 1200+ page manual, but am afraid that's above my pay-grade.

Tank is more than half full. :bigsmiley29:

Back