free website stats program replaced front motor mount | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

replaced front motor mount

The newer replacement mounts are stiffer than the older ones and more vibrations are a result of this "improvement". Some talk about using a Buell mount on the big twins but I don't have the particulars on it.

Hi Glider, Just so happens I have talked about this issue on the forum before. I did take it back to the dealer, and their response was the same as you suggested. Replace the mount with the Buell mount.

I to have the newer mount, and get a lot of vibration at idle. It is almost unbearable, but not to the point as to stop riding. Mine has not be quite a year, but I am hoping that it will soften up soon. I still ride it. I thought it was a compensator nut, but it was not. Then I thought the frame was cracked or something in the transmission might be missed aligned, but that is not the problem either. Bike runs great with 76K on her. Sometimes at idle it is not bad. Just something that I'll live with.

Hey it is a Harley, and it is not counterbalanced. I am starting to live with it. Anyone ask why is shakes some much, I just tell them "Horsepower baby.....Horsepower.....":newsmile108::newsmile108:

Hi Glider, Just so happens I have talked about this issue on the forum before. I did take it back to the dealer, and their response was the same as you suggested. Replace the mount with the Buell mount.

Thanks for the feed back. I couldn't remember who it was that posted about that.:D

I've seen the original 16207-79B go bad on a 2003 model in 4000 miles,the top plate resting on the rubber,it had pushed the center tube right through the bush.
The shape was changed to 16207-79C (Bulletin M-1182) but -79B was still available as Buell # L0501.2. This had to be used as the Buell hangs from,rather than sits on the mount.
16207-79D the compound was changed,as stated elsewhere,but it's now twice the price of the Buell part.
The Buell number is now L1501.8 but I don't know if the compound has been changed on the new one.
One strange thing is from 1999 through 2008,the mounting bolt that goes through the bush is #3512 which is a 3/8" bolt.
On the -79B mount,the hole in the bush is 1/2",but on the -79C and -79D mounts,the hole is 3/8".
The -79B version is available as Zodiac #032360 for around the same price as the Buell one,and before anyone shouts,I'm betting they all came out the same mould tool in Taiwan.
It crossed my mind that they changed the compound when they went to cast cranks and increased the runout tolerance to 0.012",but then that's just how my mind works.:D
I bought an almost unused 1999 FLHR a while back that now has 10,000 miles on it,the mount is still good,but I've got a -79B to go on when needed,but I might think about using a 1/2" bolt.
Sorry,rambled on a bit there,I tend to do that.:bigsmiley21:

just had my motor mount replaced on my 2002 road king with the updated motor mount and the vibration is just way too bad at idle its not even enjoyable,brought it back to the dealer who replaced it and they said it is normal,Ihad a 2000 road king before this 2002 and it didn`t vibrate this much and it didn`t vibrate as much before it was replaced,I would say the vibration is four times as bad, its Terrible!

I also got the "new" style mount and replaced it late last year. I agree the mount is stiffer and the motor shakes way more? As Glider said they say if you use the Buell mount (or after market) its way better? Let us know if you find out more cause I don't really like this new mount much? Thanks

I also got the "new" style mount and replaced it late last year. I agree the mount is stiffer and the motor shakes way more? As Glider said they say if you use the Buell mount (or after market) its way better? Let us know if you find out more cause I don't really like this new mount much? Thanks

There is more info in the above post,but if there was a delay in approval,you may not have seen it.
Here are pics of the 2003 mount mentioned.

FRONTMOUNT2.jpg

FRONTMOUNT1.jpg

You can see the bolt is smaller than the hole in the mount,and has allower it to lean over and deform.
I've been reading everything I can find on this,and talking to anyone who'll listen.
The next one I change,I will use the Zodiac -B style mount with a 1/2" bolt.
Leave the mount plate bolts and mount bolt a little slack,ride round the block at 30 mph then tighten everything up.
As to the latest hard mount,I searched for the bulletin on here and couldn't find it,without it it's easy to fit the mount upside down,which may effect the vibes.
Bulletin is here
Box.net | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces
Re buying from the US,the MoCo have stopped US Dealers selling to the UK,or taking payments on non US registered credit cards.:(They are also trying to block the supply of OE parts to independant dealers.I don't know if this will also apply to Canada.

Back