free website stats program Replace stock carb w/ S&S? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replace stock carb w/ S&S?

Unless you are going to do engine modifications that put you above 85 hp, you are not going to realize any benefits from the S&S carb. over your cv carb.
If it's the look you want, they make adapters to mount the S&S cover to a Keihn.

I have a tear drop air cleaner on my 93 but it doesn't say S&S. Just looking for goods or bads about changing over. No engine mods have been done so most likely I'll leave it alone.

I know we have been hounded into thing everything Hd is bad all aftermarket is good.
Truth is most HD parts are better. The Hd carb is the best one for your ride.
Some of the specialized after markets are good or a narrow area on bikes made to run on the track. Like straight pipes worthless except an engine tuned to run flat out like a drag bike.

The saying around here is HD stands for Hundred Dollars because whenever you go to the dealer you will be spending at least that much. But as you said HD does make good stuff and you rarely have to worry about fit or how long it will last.

That is what I did with the lines ( manifold to petcock plugged) I just wanted to know if anyone had went to an S&S and how it had worked for them. Sometimes I'll have a Bud who doesn't need a part, and will offer it to me and I didn't know if I should spend the time putting the part on or not. Thanks!

As TQ said, the HD Keihin CV carb w/ accelerator pump works great, been running on EVOs for 25 years so plenty of time to work out the nits, rebuild kit if needed $35 or so...one little detail about S&S Carbs and parts: they are EXPENSIVE for what they do...and unless you are building up the engine as well, it does not make much sense and a waste of time...even Mikuni would be a better choice here...if you are sticking with Stage I type mods...! As for the "look" I have an S&S "clone" air cleaner cost about $100 and use air cleaner element that costs $9 I replace every couple years, though I am considering K&N $45 reusable one.

KuryakinMiniWings.jpg

Last edited:
As TQ said, the HD Keihin CV carb w/ accelerator pump works great, been running on EVOs for 25 years so plenty of time to work out the nits, rebuild kit if needed $35 or so...one little detail about S&S Carbs and parts: they are EXPENSIVE for what they do...and unless you are building up the engine as well, it does not make much sense and a waste of time...even Mikuni would be a better choice here...if you are sticking with Stage I type mods...! As for the "look" I have an S&S "clone" air cleaner cost about $100 and use air cleaner element that costs $9 I replace every couple years, though I am considering K&N $45 reusable one.

KuryakinMiniWings.jpg

We have the same cover. lol

The reason I was asking is because we have a parts network going on, I gave a wide glide front end to someone, found drags at somebody else's house for some one else, and a Bud gave me a billet oil filter. So the S&S came up and I didn't know if it was worth the time, but it's not broke (and thanks to the advice) I'm not fixing it. lol I also found out the same air cleaner (foam ring) can be bought at southern states or any lawn mower shop for about $3.00. Thanks for the info!

I'm going to post in the oil section if anyone has used the "reusable" billet oil filter.

Back