free website stats program Replace camshaft bearings? | Harley Davidson Forums

Replace camshaft bearings?

92FXRS

Was doing some reading & found that the OE camshaft bearings can be a problem on my '92 FXRS. I don't believe mine have been changed over to the Torrington bearings (I am the 2nd owner). I now have over 24K miles. Is this a problem waiting to happen? Is this a hard job to do myself? What tools will I need to purchase? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm really starting to worry about this, spring is just around the corner.

I am about to change the cam tensioners on my 04 Classic and talked to the service guy about the cam bearings. He recommended to change the stock bearings to the upgrade Torrington type. He told me that the upgrade bearings give better support to the cam and a little more oil too. I think the new bearings are about $15 0r $20 each, but I'm not sure. You have to have another special tool to pull the bearing out of the crankcase housing. That one tool is $180 from HD. Then you have to press them back in.

For EVO and TC: You should consider replacing the INA inner cam shaft support bearing(s) as part of a change in the cam shaft systems. I would not break into the cam chest JUST to replace that (those).

For TC: But if you are up-grading to the roller-chain configuration or gear drive, or just changing the spring loaded tensioners where you have to pull the plate, then DEFINITELY include changing out to the Torringtons as part of the project.

Easy enough to do, but invest in the tools to do it right. Puller can be substituted for, but the installer should be the fit-for-purpose tool from HD, Jims, or George's Garage to name a few.

Check out this pictorial to see that part of the job:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

EVO: For the '92, you only have the one bearing on the camshaft. Glider has posted some info in self-help on doing this job. When I did my '91, I got the puller, but used the old cam shaft as the installer. Up to you whether you want to get the intallation tool.

TQ

Last edited:
defenatly replace the inner bearings,we made a nice tool to install the bearings,if you have access to a lathe,its no big one to make,uses your cam plate and presses the bearings in with nylon,taking care not to damage bearings(by the way,always install bearing with #`s facing out)
100_4758.jpg

Can you explain the numbers facing out reason? Thanks, guess I have 50-50 odds I did it right!:swoon

Can you explain the numbers facing out reason? Thanks, guess I have 50-50 odds I did it right!:swoon

SOP, but also that way the bearings can be checked for pn while installed. If you have installed them already, just leave them now. Do NOT open up the cam chest and pull the plate just to check!! Leave them alone (assuming you installed the Torringtons!).

TQ

It's not so much that the number side is facing out as it is whenever you press any bearing in, you always press against the number side of the bearing, the bearing is design with a harder face on that side, been a while since I've been to any class but that's the way I remember it. If there are no numbers then you can press ether side.

Hi 92FXRS, As an earlier poster suggested...don't dig into the camchest just to change the INA's.....at 24ks and a mostly stock motor, and the 'mild' 0.472 cam, chances are good that INA will take you through the riding season with no problems. If by chance the previous owner did a cam change, there is a good chance that a Torrington is in the cam chest also....a very common change.

I just put new lifters in my 93 evo fatboy because I had one tappet roller fail, put a new cam in while i was there, and replaced the INA bearing with the Torrington, the mileage was 29000 and the bearing looked fine....but....while you're there.

Is there something I can watch for; like tell-tell signs in the oil, certain noises, or anything else?
I'm not nearly as concerned now after everyone's replies, but this is something that I want to stay aware of & be looking/listening for while servicing and/or riding

Back