free website stats program replace air filter or get a stage 1 | Harley Davidson Forums

replace air filter or get a stage 1

gocarolina95

i was thinking about replacing my stock air filter with an K&N, but would there be that much of a difference by getting a stage 1 instead? I plan on keeping the stock air cleaner cover look.

2010 Street glide, my first harley.

I am guessing that filter will also fit the 2009 ultra also? It looks to be more oval than round is that correct? If it is that is the one I'm looking for.

I am guessing that filter will also fit the 2009 ultra also? It looks to be more oval than round is that correct? If it is that is the one I'm looking for.

Head to the K&N website and you can put in your specific year and model and it lists all the filters that'll fit your bike.

According to the K&N site, it will fit 2008-2009 Touring models. They also show 2 filters for Softails, the 3910 and the 3909. The 3910 says it will give a 12 hp gain. Here is the link to all of the applications

KN Custom Air Cleaners & Filter Assemblies for Harley Davidson Motorcycles

Looks like all of them do not stick out as far as the SE models. Anyone used any of these???

BTW - Dr. - Thanks for the link! I figured the SE was about the only choice for a upgraded AC.

KN makes a great filter but you are not getting a 12 HP gain with just a filter change.
You can get a direct KN replacement for stock AC no flow gain but good filter
You can get a increased flow filter that will fit in your housing, some increase but not the best you can do
Then you can go all out with a set up like Heavy breather either the cone or the newer flat one They will give you the maxium flow

According to K&N you do :D They have the dyno sheet on line to prove it :bigsmiley11: - its at 5000 rpm. I thought that was quite a bit for just an AC change. I like it because it takes up less space than the SE filter. I wonder how it compares to the SE filters on surface area???

the 3910 is not just a filter it also has a veloicty stack you have to change the backplate and some other items.. But a air filter even with the stacka lone is not going to give ou 12 hp you need fuel to at the least.

Last edited:
Could you get 12hp by doing the AC and adding fuel? I figured you'd have to go the complete stage 1 route and do the exhaust too.

I don't have any experience with dyno's - is it normal to quote the results on a 3rd gear pull? Most people talk about 5th gear numbers...

I'm not saying I believe the K&N marketing - the dyno sheet says 'stock 96ci' but who knows what all was 'tweeked'. Sort of like ads for food - it never looks as good in person as it does in print:s

I have a Ness Big Sucker stage 1 that I bought for $100 and it's the chrome version. I'm using the stock OEM cover. Easy install and very pleased.

I added the intake w/ the TFI first. Rode it around for a month and felt a nice increase in throttle response and pickup (and an awesome intake sound when rolling on the throttle).

I then added V&H mufflers, adjusted the TFI and like the results. I'm not worried about actual hp increase (tq is the item you want to measure), as long as I'm happy with the results and still get good MPG (avg 39-40 still), then I'm good to go.

Ride safe and have fun!

Is it just me, or does the K&N intake kit look just like HD's SE intake kit? Does anyone if they're the same, or different?

I found a similar situation w/HD's battery tender...after I purchased:small3d015:

Back