free website stats program Repeal of Michigan's helmet law... by choice now!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Repeal of Michigan's helmet law... by choice now!!!!

I for one avoid helmet law states, unfortunately my Son lives in one. Congratulations to the riders in Michigan. While I don't know anything about your state I know it had to be a giant battle as we are in a mode now to protect the people from themselves. Thus the warning like do not lick this razor blade. Sweet Michigan I might head your way after all it will be a great place to wear my Gerbing gear.

I do know that lots of us in the FREE State of Idaho will not cross the border into the State of Washington because of their helmet law. Give away your freedom of choice and start loosing all freedoms.

As the UK had a helmet law a few years before i started riding in 1975 i have never really ridden a motorcycle without wearing a helmet
I usually wear a full face helmet which does give good protection from the weather and it is usually raining here if it is warm and sunny i have good protection from the bugs
I usually replace my helmet every 2 years and spend a wee bit of time in research of which will suit my needs best
When i started driving a car in 1982 seat belts were mandatory so i have never driven without one
It Does not matter how good a rider/driver i am, i am subject to the abilities of the other road users around me

Brian

But if you want to ride without a helmet then maybe you should because it's your life and if you die it won't effect anyone else. Not your family, not your friends, just you.

JMO

I can't quite agree - most of us would leave loved ones behind who will be burdened with grief, loss and hardship if we mush our heads and die when we might have survived a tumble. We have no choice in the UK but I'm very used to it and would find it weird to ride without a lid. Riding a bike's a risky business unfortunately and I like to keep the risks lower for me and for those who have to put up with me :D

But I accept all that those of you say who regard the issue as one of principle and choice. To each their own....

Indiana is also a helmet free state.Last Sept. I crossed the state line into Michigan without realizing it and got pulled over for not wearing a helmet.
I wonder if I can appeal the fine now and get my $100. back. :lolrolling

Indiana is also a helmet free state.Last Sept. I crossed the state line into Michigan without realizing it and got pulled over for not wearing a helmet.
I wonder if I can appeal the fine now and get my $100. back. :lolrolling

:s Get Canadian money EH its worth more EH:p

I can't quite agree - most of us would leave loved ones behind who will be burdened with grief, loss and hardship if we mush our heads and die when we might have survived a tumble. We have no choice in the UK but I'm very used to it and would find it weird to ride without a lid. Riding a bike's a risky business unfortunately and I like to keep the risks lower for me and for those who have to put up with me :D

But I accept all that those of you say who regard the issue as one of principle and choice. To each their own....

I don't agree either. That last line was a little sarcasm.

I have no problem with freedom of choice, and support one's right to ride without head protection. That being said, when someone plants their noggin against a curb and scrambles their grey matter, I don't want to have to pay for that. I used to d a lot of SCUBA diving. One guy that I dove with regularly used to push the limits of bottom time. One dive it caught up with him and he suffered decompression sickness ( the bends). Thank god he recovered, and went back to diving, with one codicil, his medical insurance would no longer cover diving accidents. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want to engage in risky behavior, you have to be willing to accept the consequences. JMO......

Maybe if you have the right to say I'm not going to take every step possible to increase the chances of surviving an accident, then maybe the insurance companies should have the right to refuse to pay medical and or life benefits.

What if the insurance companies said everyone must wear a helmet while riding in their cars? I don't think many people would agree to that. It' all a matter of personal rights and every time we lose even a seemingly insignificant right to make a personal choice, we are all closer to losing all of our rights and choices, rights that our fore fathers fought and died to give us all.

Alot of good points here but for me, like others, it is the freedom of choice. There my be a nice long road where you want your hair (if you still have some) to blow in the wind. The fact is when it is your time it is your time, I had a friend who would wear his helmet everywhere even if it was just down the road to the corner, while one time a car made a left in front of him and he hit it. He hit the car with his head and while if he didn't have the helmet on he would have died, instead he broke his neck and now he sits in a wheelchair....so what is better?

Back