free website stats program Repair manual | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Repair manual

Got the starter back on the bike. After replacing the copper bits and the plunger she turned right over. Now I gotta find a new gasket for the case. Fill it up with oil and I’m ready to ride again. Just in time for winter! Sure wish I knew how to post pics on here. Got some questions about the bench test procedure in my manual.?!?

The shop manual I have has a procedure to test the solenoid. It requires disconnecting the field wire from the “c” terminal. (From the solenoid to the starter motor). Run a lead from the positive terminal to the disconnected “c” terminal. Run a lead from negative post to the body of the starter, and finally a lead from positive to the “50” (plug in) it’s supposed to push the shaft out (no spin) it’s called a pull-in test. There are also a solenoid hold-in test, and a solenoid return test. All to be done in succession. My starter didn’t past the first one. BUT, I bench tested the way I know how, positive to the “m” terminal, negative to the body, and another lead from the positive to the “50” terminal, the shaft extends and spins. I put it on the bike and now it works! Just gotta get part # for the primary chaincase gasket, and for that o-ring around the shifter. Anybody help a brother out?

Use this web for pics. Real easy to use.
https://postimages.org/
tourbox
I took a brief glance. So I add pics I want to put on here, and resize them there? Thank you, by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to this web for your P/N's
https://www.dodgecityharleydavidson.com/OEMpartfinder.htm
Primary gasket # 34901-85A, and 0-ring # 11117A. You need to verify those with the above link.
tourbox

That would be correct. I pic the 1 or 2 I want from my computer then resize there for forums. I think I use the 640/480 size for message boards. Once it says copied you can paste it to your reply on here. It shows up as a link until you post your reply then comes out as a pic. IIRC??
tourbox

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be correct. I pic the 1 or 2 I want from my computer then resize there for forums. I think I use the 640/480 size for message boards. Once it says copied you can paste it to your reply on here. It shows up as a link until you post your reply then comes out as a pic. IIRC??
tourbox
My man! Thank you very much

Click on the link in post #13 for post images. When the 1st. page opens click on the down tab for Do not resize my images. Then click on 640x480(for message boards). Next click on Choose my Images, then choose a pic that you saved on your computer or where ever. Next it goes to another page saying upload complete, there scroll down to Hot links for Forums. On the far right is a pic that looks like floppy disc with a folded tab paper on it. Click once on it and you get a message that saves copied. Come back to your post/reply here on the forum then right click & paste. There you will see a URL from where you copied it on Post Image. Once you post your reply to this forum it becomes a picture. As in my 1973 FL/FX.

Back