free website stats program Removing the balancers | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing the balancers

Gon2far

I have a 07 Heritage that vibrates my eyes and brain at 70 MPH plus. Dealers tell me its normal, I feel other wise. I tore the engine down to the crank and all seems to be fine except for the crank being 3,000 out on both sides. I spoke to Revolution Performance and these people seem to have truing, welding, and balancing these (EDIT) cranks down to a science. I was thinking more is better so I was going to have the whole assembly balanced. Crank, rods, and pistons. They than told me if I balanced everything I could remove the balancing system and seal the oiling passages for it up. I spoke to all my local perfromance shops and they don't recommend removing the balance system. Calling Revolution back about my concerns in removing the balancing system they told me after you balance everything and then put the balancing system back in the bike is going to shake like it did before. The local shops say it will vibrate more without the balancing system even though everything is balance. Now I don't know what to do. I need real gear head help. What do you think?

Please read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you remove the balancers it will shake even worse than it is now. Try to ride a pre balanced softail and you'll see what shaking is compared to the B motors. It's a possibility that the balance chain sprocket that is on the crank is out of time with the engine which can happen with the setup they have. As far as the balanced and truing goes, better get the crank welded too or you are wasting your time.

If you are going that far, I would go with a good replacement for the stock crank like the S&S unit which is a far better unit.

Glider,
Thanks for the advise. I highly value the opinions of this forum. I have another question for you. If you have an B engine are you wasting money on having the crank, rods, and pistons balanced? Should'nt the balancing system be able to take care of slight imperfections in a crank assembly.

Balancing the reciprocating parts is always a good thing. Is it necessary on these motors? That's another story completely. If you are racing and turning over the 6K limiter, then it may be beneficial, otherwise they are balanced enough for the street in factory form unless the runout on the crank is excessive then all bets are off.. The balancers on the "B" motors are basically to counteract the power pulses of the pistons and should not be confused with a balanced reciprocating mass as in balanced crank, rods etc.

In an attempt to reduce vibrations in my 07 Hertiage engine at highway speeds, the following improvements are being none. Crank trued and welded, balance entire rotating assembly, install Timken bearings, replace cam support plate. The more power I put to the bike at 70mph plus the more it vibrated. Example: Riding two up, that's 400 pounds, and add a head wind to that, and we were really shaking. Ok we all know about the 07 cranks but I also think the bike is alittle under powered an the rpm in 6th gear at 70-75 mph is to low, so I purchased an Andrews sprocket that has two less teeth to get the rpm up. I also thought I would shave the head alittle for some additional compression, and I was going to replace the cams. My racing days are over, I just need the bike to pull a load better, what cams would you recomend. My shop recomended leaving the cams and heads stock and installing a 107 bolt on kit. That will give me the most torque for the money. What would you do.

When you say it vibrates at 70 when adding power, what were your RPM's at that point? Adding compression by shaving the heads will also add to the feeling of more vibrations too with the more bang per combustion stroke.

I don't have a tach on the bike but I can tell it's much happier doing 85mph then it is doing 75mph. However without fairings other issues start to arise at that speed. My guess is the difference in RPM is about 1,000. So I was thinking 250rpm per tooth, two less teeth on the sprocket would increase the RPM at my 75mph cruising speed by 500 to 700rpm which should be better for me and my engine. It will also give me better pick-up and didn't HD rise the RMP's in the 08 six speeds by changing the transmission gear ratio's.

Back