free website stats program removing stuck screws primary side | Harley Davidson Forums

removing stuck screws primary side

Ranger518

trying to replace my primary side fluid but can not get the clutch cover and Primary Chain Inspection Hole plates off. Is there a trick to getting these overly tightened screws?

If you have a Heat gun (Not a Flame), I would try heating them up while you can still grab them with a torx socket.. Someone before you could have used some Loctite on them. Once you get them above a couple of hundred degrees, my guess is they should loosen up.

And...when done go to local HW store to get chrome hex head replacements. Gives better grip vs. torx...

If you have access to an impact driver they always work well also. When you put the cover back on they don't have to be very tight, 80-90 inch pounds is all they need.

This is quite a common problem 2 ways to get them out first is to try a hand impact driver if that fails to shift them then the only option left is to drill the heads off the screws
once the pressure is released and the covers are off you should be able to back the threaded part out with you fingers or a vice grips replace with allen headed screws and put a wee bit of copper grease on the threads
i am sure a quick search of the forum will bring up a few instances of this problem

Brian

I had this same problem when I first got mine. I tried impact driver, clamping vise grips on screw head and nothing would make it budge. I finally decided to do what everyone said to do at the time and just drill out the head of the screw. I wished I had done this first because it was very easy to do and I would't have scratched my inspection cover. :-(
WAP.gif

The earlier suggestion of using heat is a favourite, try using a soldering iron by holding the tip onto the screw head, that'll localise the heat.

Another way of breaking the grip is to firstly tighten it before trying to un-tighten it.
(please excuse the correct spelling of "favourite" and "localise" I'm English :D)

still can not get it, using a #27 star wrench multi tool thing I bought a Autozone but the hole is too worn from the previous owner. affraid of rounding out the holes. Going to try the sodering iorn later after buying a torx #27 and see if it works better if not going to drill a lot of screw heads. Thanks

I think I agree with R.Bingham, and would go ahead and drill them out and not spend anymore $s chasing them. JMO

Back