free website stats program Removing Stock Shifter Pegs | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Stock Shifter Pegs

glider.

BOT Machine
It seems there are quite a few of us hacking away at the stock shifter pegs to replace them with a custom peg.

They are usually destroyed beyond recognition when they are removed.

The simple way to remove them is to heat the end of the shift arm where the peg screws into it with a benzomatic torch. It softens the lock tite that the factory puts on them and the peg can be unscrewed without much trouble at all.

It seems there are quite a few of us hacking away at the stock shifter pegs to replace them with a custom peg.

They are usually destroyed beyond recognition when they are removed.

The simple way to remove them is to heat the end of the shift arm where the peg screws into it with a benzomatic torch. It softens the lock tite that the factory puts on them and the peg can be unscrewed without much trouble at all.

I did this last weekend, so wrapped a cloth around th erubber, put some mole grips on and turned, came off first time. I then sat and scratched my head on how to get the 'O' rin shifter on:15: Eventually I figured the top came off to get to the head of the bolt, and it did.

Looks great now, all that is left is either fit matching rear pegs or fit rear boards; still thinking on that one.

Mike

I hear ya there Mike. The kuryakyn pegs have a cap on the end and if you didn't know how to get it off, you would be left scratching your head for a while. Did you put a dot of blue locktight on the threads when you installed the "O" ring peg ?

I hear ya there Mike. The kuryakyn pegs have a cap on the ned and if you didn't know how to get it off, you would be left scratching your head for a while. Did you put a dot of blue locktight on the threads when you installed the "O" ring peg ?

Indeed I did buddy, indeed I did. I tend to put a drop on all replacements. BTW, I got the replacement bullet indicators with smoked covers today, rear o ring pegs to match shifter, new complete peak replacement units, live to ride inspection cover and ....oh, that was it. What is this illness called? Love my HD too much perhaps????:s

Mike

Mike

Need some pics after you get everything on the bike. I know very well about that sickness and chrome :D

I added these running lights/brake lights to the rear of the RK for better visability at night and tucked them in between the bags and fenders. They are from a deuce front light setup with dual filaments. It had the red unfluted lenses and lights up like a christmas tree at night.

Back