free website stats program Removing some length of antenna on 09 flhx | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing some length of antenna on 09 flhx

Sharky1948 is right regarding the tuning of the antenna and the fact that modern radios with their precise tuning are more "fault tolerant". That said, the coat hanger technique works as does the 1 1/2' vs 3' full length antenna mod or 1 1/2' flex rubber antenna mounted in the fairing (close to the radio "ANT" input plug ) is ideal and yes, FM RF waves are horizontally polarized so laying her down inside the fairing (away from metallic objects) is fine, quick and easy...(this is with my "Electronics 101" manual in my head...).

Just a word of caution to you guys that are cutting down the length of your antennas. A CB radio is a transmitter-receiver and requires the antenna system to be matched to the radio. If it is not, and you key the mike, you can damage the RF finals in the transmitter. It may not happen the first time you do it...or the second, third or fourth...but it will eventually cause the finals to blow if the antenna is not matched with a standing wave ratio (SWR) of at least 1.5:1 or better. The Harley Davidson / Harmon-Kardon radio is a very expensive piece of electronics to replace just because you think the antennas don't look cool. If you want shortys, buy shortys and even then, make sure you have a QUALIFIED radio technician check/tune the antenna system with the proper equipment. Modifying the antennas with a pair of wire cutters is not the answer. Not criticizing you. It's your bike, and your money. Just warning you of a potentially very costly mistake.

someone stole the tip off one of mine and thinking to order one from antennax.com they have them that are 12 inches long and have tood reviews

I just installed a non-amplified antenna in the fairing, and am very happy with the performance so far. It's a "micro screen" antenna that sticks ontgo non-metallic surfaces like a strip of tape, and works for AM/FM/WB.

Here's what it looks like. Installation was easy: remove outer fairing, unplug the existing antenna, stick this one onto the inner fairing right below the windshield, and plug it in.

hiddenantennawbw250.jpg

Back