free website stats program Removing some length of antenna on 09 flhx | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing some length of antenna on 09 flhx

Redman

I remember reading a post about removing about 12 inches or so from stock antenna but cant seem to locate post for the how to and if it affected the reception at all...any advice would be appreciated:14:

I removed mine and cut 14" off the bottom. Looks way better and absolutely no change in reception. Straighten out a coat hanger, cut it to the length you want and install it for a day or to test the reception. When satisfied, cut the OEM antenna.

In theory, altering antenna length should impact reception since they are tuned to frequency range (actually wavelength.) That said, if the "coat hanger test" has results you are comfortable with, go for it! Receivers with digital tuning, etc. are so good these days that they are pretty forgiving.

I remember reading a post about removing about 12 inches or so from stock antenna but cant seem to locate post for the how to and if it affected the reception at all...any advice would be appreciated:14:

The '06 antenna was even longer. I purchased a short flexible antenna from Pep Boys for my '06 that worked fine. I'll probably just shorten the antenna on my '09.

Why not remove the entire length?

Go to an auto parts store and get a powered antenna - the somewhat flexible, long, skinny, rectangular type - for around $20. Take the front fairing off, unplug the current antenna and zip tie it out of the way, plug new one in, zip tie it into place, splice it into a power source like the cigarette lighter, ground it, and you're good to go! Oh yeah - reinstall the fairing before you ride off to check the reception!

I had an 07 SG, and I almost put my eye out... I mean blood in the white of my eye, by turning around too quick to reach for something. I pulled it out and never put it back till I traded for an 09. I don't mind that one. I might put one in the fairing.

Baught a short flex antenna (12") at the local parts store for $6.50. Works great, looks cool...... same thing as the $42 shorty antenna at your local HD Stealership.

Go with the powered under fairing mount,you won't be disapointed.Receptions great and no more antenae to hit you when you are walking around the back of the bike.7 screws 5min installation:)

I just cut mine off to about 14 inches and got a black vacume cap and glued on the tip cant even tell that there not the shorty's and the reception seems about the same I haven't check the CB yet

Back