free website stats program Removing Reflectors | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Reflectors

Randall K. Wilson

On my '09 Softail Deluxe it has a rectangular reflector on the side of each rear fender. Has anyone on the forum ever removed those. I wonder if the clear coat was sprayed over it?

I'd like to remove these reflectors but don't want to do anything to my cycle that will come back to haunt me. (done that already (nicks).

Any input or advice will be appreciated. Thanks

I removed all the reflectors on my FatBob including the one on the tank by heating it up with a hair dryer and using fishing line to get underneath. A little saw action and off she comes. You might want to try some oven clearner to remove unwanted glue. Then wash and wax it.

You might want to try some oven clearner to remove unwanted glue. Then wash and wax it.

I wouldn't use oven cleaner to remove the glue. Something on the order of WD40 or an adhesive remover from 3M is a lot less of a problem and will not damage anything.

Another good thing to use for getting the sticky stuff off is called "Goo-Gone". That stuff does wonders!!!

Another thing to use is peanut butter the oil in it removes adhesive well and doesn't scratch, I've used this several times on my cars/trucks taking off the dealership stickers since they don't want to pay me to advertise for them :D.

I removed all the reflectors on my FatBob including the one on the tank by heating it up with a hair dryer and using fishing line to get underneath. A little saw action and off she comes. You might want to try some oven clearner to remove unwanted glue. Then wash and wax it.

I wouldn't put harsh chemicals on my paint like that, but to each his own.

A heat gun works far better than a hair dryer and does cause you to get greef from the old lady. Harbor Freight sells them for less than $10.

The only thing to keep in mind is that they are require by DOT. I live in VA and we have to get all our vehicals inspected each year and that is one of the things they check for. I know guys who stick them on for the inspection and they pull them back off. Don't know what their plan is when they get hastled by the law, it just gives them one more thing to write you a ticket for.

I don't particularly care for mine, but they are still on there.

Another thing to use is peanut butter the oil in it removes adhesive well and doesn't scratch, I've used this several times on my cars/trucks taking off the dealership stickers since they don't want to pay me to advertise for them :D.

Hmmm, bio degradable and tastes good too...and use dental floss, mint or cinnamon :D

I agree don't use anything harsh to remove the adhesive. The WD40 will work fine it just might take a little soaking and extra time.

Back