free website stats program Removing Rear Wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Rear Wheel

Hi,

I will need to replace the rear tire on my new to me 2005 Ultra Classic. I was wondering just how high I need to raise the bike off the ground to get the rear wheel off. I was looking at a motorcycle lift jack from Harbor Freight. Does anyone use one of these jacks. Is it any good. Does it raise the bike enough to get the rear wheel off.

Thanks;

Steve

If you have not purchased lift yet do your self a favor and call around first to different shops. My Indy charges $15.00 carry in wheel or $55.00 to bring bike in. These prices are per wheel. So unless you really want a jack which I have one, and use to use frequently when younger changing riding partners wheels out it may benefit you just to take bike into shop.
This has a lot of do it yourself information:

Just a couple of differences between the OPs '05 process and the process in the video. No ABS on the '05 so no sensor to deal with and the brake caliper/bracket is one piece, not two as shown in the video; the one piece caliper is more challenging. The other thing the guy in the video glossed over is the tendency for the right side cam to move as you get closer to the correct torque spec which can be very frustrating. I have started using the "third hand tool" and staking the back side of the right side cam to keep it from moving. Staking is using a center punch to make some indentions in the metal so that it "bites" into the swing arm to resist turning. The Jim's third had tool is shown in the link but there are some available online for about $10 cheaper.

Keep the bike touching the ground till the wheel is free then lift the bike remove the wheel and drop the lift till the front wheel is touching the ground again
When the wheel is removed the balance of the bike will change so do ensure the bike is secure on the lift

Brian

I didn't take the time to watch the video, maybe my comments were addressed.. Before I remove anything, I use a Sharpie to note the Left and Right spacer, and an arrow pointing to the hub (some spacers matter). I also mark direction of rotation all around my rim, just to make sure the changer does not mount the tire backward. I do not raise the bike real high, I tilt the wheel to get it out.

I have used Harbor Freight variety of lifts for years. Each has served me well. As mentioned when using this one or one similar be sure to strap your scoot down. They come in handy for other things such as doing a good detail cleaning, wheels off the ground at stool height are much easier to clean.:)I would think you'd have enough height, but can't say for sure. Only time my rear wheel has been off is for tire change which I take elsewhere to have done. Thankfully have not needed to pull for other reasons.Yet... Of course while wheel is off look at sprocket, cush drive etc. Bearings will need done at some point have not decided on approach for that yet. Will likely do it myself and will be using my lift. Good luck

Back