free website stats program removing primary cover | Harley Davidson Forums

removing primary cover

atm33

I'm removing my primary cover (08 RK) for the first time to install a Baker chain tensioner. Seems like such a simple task, but then I notice I have to remove the footboard first. But the footboard bracket also holds the jiffy stand on, so now I'm wondering how to do this and keep the bike upright so as not to kill myself... How do you guys do it?

Look again. The jiffy has it's own bracket, held to the frame by 4 bolts. At least all I've paid attention to have. When I didn't have a mcy. jack, I used a car jack stand under a right side highway peg, passenger peg, or other protrusion to hold the bike up. Also used one on the left side for insurance.

I have a motorcycle jack and will probably go that route. Just worried with all the torque I have to put on the primary bolt to loosen/retighten, I could tip it. I'll just have the wife hold the bike steady while I do that I guess. Unfortunately, the jiffy stand bracket and the rear footboard bracket share 2 bolts so taking off the footboard also loosens the stand.

When you get to the point of torquing the comp and clutch nuts. Lower the bike so that the wheels are just touching the ground. You'll be fine this way.

If you jack your lift up just enough to "right" the bike but leave the wheels on the ground, it should be good enough to hold the bike up. Just make sure you can still get to all the fasteners you need to access to do the job with the jack in place.

Cheers,

TQ

Back