free website stats program Removing ignition assy without a Key | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing ignition assy without a Key

Speleo12

Greetings, new member here, thought I would jump right in.

2001 Electra Glide. Wrong barrel key was used in ignition lock, now barrel is jammed and I can not turn it fully counter clockwise to remove the assembly. I removed the decal and cover from the lock, and removed the allen set screw. I can depress the little square button under the lock, but it will not turn anymore counter clockwise for removal. What magic do I now need to know?

Thanks,
Speleo

Take your VIN to the local HD dealer and they can order the correct key which may allow you to "unjam" the barrel.

I have the correct keys for the ignition. A wrong key was used in the ignition, subsequently breaking off one of the little small raised pieces on the key in the barrel assembly. Inner core and outer cylinder almost line up, but will not turn. Am Almost ready to take a dremel to the whole thing

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the correct keys for the ignition. A wrong key was used in the ignition, subsequently breaking off one of the little small raised pieces on the key in the barrel assembly. Inner core and outer cylinder almost line up, but will not turn. Am Almost ready to take a dremel to the whole thing

That was on my mind but didn't want to go there without trying the correct key first; may be the only option.:eek: I don't have any tricks up my sleeve.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
The barrel lock on my Dyna got messed up sorta like you describe. I filed the locator "bump" off my key and was able to put it in and wiggle it around enough to get the ign. to turn off.

Same thing happened to my 97 FLHT, I busted the lock and had it replaced under warranty, cheap design but the key came out half way between lock and un lock

Back