free website stats program Removing Helmet Lock | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing Helmet Lock

Steve Di.

I have a helmet lock that was mounted on my engine guard using tamper-proof screws. How do I remove the screws so I can relocate my lock? BTW, I will reinstall the lock using allen screws.

You can probably go down to your local hardware store and get a bit for security and tamper proof screws. The local true value in my town carries them and there are several types to choose from. good luck.:newsmile024:

You can probably go down to your local hardware store and get a bit for security and tamper proof screws. The local true value in my town carries them and there are several types to choose from. good luck.:newsmile024:

Gee, I hope any "bad guys" don't read that post! :p

Thanks guys.

I have the "one way" type of screws on the lock. A standard screwdriver can only tighten the screws. I am glad the tools are available for purchase because I would hate to drill out the screws....what a mess that would be.

Gee, I hope any "bad guys" don't read that post! :p

Yea, actually though the really bad guys already know that and more. But possibly some bad guy wanna be's might take up on it.

There is no total solution, but anything that slows them down is a step forward.

I use a HEAVY vinyl covered cable lock thru the strap clamp and thru my sissy bar, so they would have to trash the strap to steal it OR have some big cable cutters from H.F. (just for all you bad wanna be's).

But those small little cable helmet locks I see at Amazon I think I could cut those with small side cutters.

If in doubt of the neighborhood your in, take the helmet with you.

We have a helmet law in Massachusetts and if someone were to steal my helmet I would be stranded. My helmet is scratched and not very pretty, so it would be for mischievous reasons that someone would take my helmet.

Honestly, I relocated my HD helmet lock twice & just took a needle nose pliers to loosen screws. Even though they are "one directional" all it takes is a little reverse torque to get them loose. Now I ditched the HD lock because it was too easy to counter & use a small gun lock to secure helmet to bike. This lock has ~9" cable & locks w/key (see attached). Works quite well...JMO.

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 11
As i wear a full face helmet i have at times used a heavy duty motorcycle chain lock threaded through the helmet and the front wheel

Brian

Back