free website stats program Removing he clutch from starter | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing he clutch from starter

bigdogblw

I have a 83 Harley davidson Low rider and I cant get the Starter off the Clutch case to replace my Back belt It just wont come off.. Ive removed all the bolts that I Can see if anyone has any advice that would be awesome the book is getting me nowhere!

I have a 83 Harley davidson Low rider and I cant get the Starter off the Clutch case to replace my Back belt It just wont come off.. Ive removed all the bolts that I Can see if anyone has any advice that would be awesome the book is getting me nowhere!

Your gonna have to remove the primary cover and remove the jack shaft. But I dont think you need to remove your starter to replace the belt. you will need to remove the primary drive to include the clutch basket an then the inner primary cover. Thas how you do the newer ones but not shure if the earlier models are the same.

Good luck.

I don't know what bolts you've taken out so here goes.On the right side of the starter,as you sitting on bike,remove the the chrome cover on the end of the starter.Behind that is a bracket that the chrome cover screwed to,remove that. There are 2 LONG bolts that go all the way through the starter and screw into the starter shaft housing. Once those 2 bolts are out then you can pull the starter off the starter housing.Wiggle it to get it off and watch the inboard side of the starter motor,it could separate as you remove it. If it does you may be able to push it back together if you haven't gone to far. If you have the room reach in and pull starter out. Once that is out you should see 2 bolts holding the starter housing to the back side of the inner primary. Remove them and pull housing out. The Jack Shaft should stay in the Inner Primary.You should be good to go from there.Also look at Ronnie Harley Davidson OEM parts finder.They have a break down of the parts so you can look at what I,'m talking about.Good luck.
tourbox

Ive taken off all those bolts.. It just seems like its stuck the peice of medal inbetween the starter and the CLutch case wont come off is there little bracket things holding that in?

No bracket that I recall or shown in Ronnie's microfiche. Some of the older shovels had a bolt from inside the primary that screwed to the starter housing. You would be able to see it behind the top of clutch hub and starter ring gear. Maybe someone silicon-ed the starter housing to the Inner Primary for leaking purpose, I've seen that too. When you say quote
" replace my Back belt" are you talking of the belt to the rear tire?
tourbox

Ive got everything replaced now! there were 3 bolts on the inside of the starter housing.. Unfortunely the starter is 30 years old so I cant get the screws off and get the main part of the start inside the tube so IM going to have to have it rebuilt or have buy a new one!

Glad you got it off. 3 bolts inside the starter housing is new to me. I must be on the wrong page or it is an after market starter assym. I'm not familiar with. Any way congrats on figuring it out.
tourbox

Back