free website stats program Removing hard lowers | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing hard lowers

I would like to know the procedure for removing the lowers on my '13 FLHTRU. Can't seem to find anything in the owner's manual. I know that HD sells a quick-detatch kit that I may want to investigate. Just trying to clean up the bike for now. but this task looks harder than I thought.

As always, TIA!

Scott in IL

If you look at the top front of the Lowers you will see 2 screws for a small cover. Remove those and look inside the closed compartment for a 1/2'(IIRC), Remove that. Then there is a saddle clamp in the bottom of your Engine guard, remove that. It should now come off.
Got to
http://www.stcharlesharleydavidson.com/OEMpartfinder. Plug in your year & model and it will give you a breakdown of parts.
tourbox

The newer models (I have a '12) are removable from inside of the fairing in the upper compartment. Fairly easy to do.

Cheers,

TQ

The newer models (I have a '12) are removable from inside of the fairing in the upper compartment. Fairly easy to do.

Cheers,

TQ
Thanks, TQ-the nuts inside the upper fairing look odd, with two sides longer than the others. Don't know what kind of socket it will require.

Scott in IL

A normal 1/2" will work. Could be a 9/16" can't remember. The 2 screws I referred to on the small outer cover where for the earlier style. I looked at my '12, as TQuentin said, he would be correct.
tourbox

Bought mine on local CL a few years back and they came w/HD quick detach kit. Believe it, or not...I only take them off for cleaning the bike. Mine are vented and I like the added (1) wind protection & (2) bug deflection. Also have oil temp gauge on my bike and the temp doesn't make a difference on operational temp (motor). You might find the same...:D

Back