Removing hard lowers

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by sddurbin53, Jan 20, 2016.

1. sddurbin53

sddurbin53 Member

I would like to know the procedure for removing the lowers on my '13 FLHTRU. Can't seem to find anything in the owner's manual. I know that HD sells a quick-detatch kit that I may want to investigate. Just trying to clean up the bike for now. but this task looks harder than I thought.

As always, TIA!

Scott in IL

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

If you look at the top front of the Lowers you will see 2 screws for a small cover. Remove those and look inside the closed compartment for a 1/2'(IIRC), Remove that. Then there is a saddle clamp in the bottom of your Engine guard, remove that. It should now come off.
    Got to
    http://www.stcharlesharleydavidson.com/OEMpartfinder. Plug in your year & model and it will give you a breakdown of parts.
    tourbox

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

The newer models (I have a '12) are removable from inside of the fairing in the upper compartment. Fairly easy to do.

Cheers,

TQ

4. sddurbin53

sddurbin53 Member

Thanks, TQ-the nuts inside the upper fairing look odd, with two sides longer than the others. Don't know what kind of socket it will require.

Scott in IL

5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

A normal 1/2" will work. Could be a 9/16" can't remember. The 2 screws I referred to on the small outer cover where for the earlier style. I looked at my '12, as TQuentin said, he would be correct.
    tourbox

6. sddurbin53

sddurbin53 Member

Thanks for the help...I'll try and remove when the weather warms up some!

7. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Bought mine on local CL a few years back and they came w/HD quick detach kit. Believe it, or not...I only take them off for cleaning the bike. Mine are vented and I like the added (1) wind protection & (2) bug deflection. Also have oil temp gauge on my bike and the temp doesn't make a difference on operational temp (motor). You might find the same...:D