free website stats program Removing glass from mirror | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing glass from mirror

UPDATE to my previous posting;

I tried to remove the glass (mirror) from the mirror assembly by heating it with a heat gun and I suppose I was a bit hasty in trying to remove the mirror and it cracked in half but it is taped together in the back so it stayed together. But...I did it it off in one piece. That glue is quite amazing stuff tho! I drilled a hole through the back of the mirror and through the tension plate that the swivel ball rests on and added a screw through the back and tightened it up. It definitely helped fix it. So I applied a bit of Locktite to the threads and I will reglue the mirror back on (by reheating the existing glue) just for the heck of it. It is useable but will not look very "pretty".

I'll keep it for a backup mirror.

Using a heat gun and gentle "convincing" pressure usually works, and this "trick" was learned when replacing automotive rear vue "remote" mirrors which were at times VERY expensive...AND there were aftermarket makers of cut mirror inserts. But I have not seen replacement mirror glass replacements for years. in the 70's. Nowadays, most people don't even blink when they have to replace one rather than try to find a matching replacement. Don't forget some have wide angle glass "Objects may be closer than they appear) magnifying ones, kind of a pain if the replacement mirror glass does not match older styles.

I want to powdercoat my mirrors on my Street Bob - could I remove the glass or just let the powdercoater tape it to stop the galss being coated?

Back