free website stats program Removing gas tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing gas tank

Anybody have any good tips on removing the gas tank on an 03 road king. Purchased some led lights and just need to raise it up to install them. I am not the most mechanical person out there. Is there some way to just lift it up without removing all the fuel lines. I had the tanks off on my old bike but never this one. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

You can remove the mount bolts in the front and rear but don't force the tank any higher than it wants to go or you can damage the fuel line connection under the tank.

Hey Glider do you know of any good replacements for the hose clamps. The ones that are on there will have to be cut off and I really didn't want to just put regular hose clamps on there. Do you know if there are chrome ones or any other alternative?

If the king is EFI the fuel line is quick disconnect at the tank and if not just don't put too much strain on it like Glider said, and I like to set a piece of card board on top of the front rocker box, just to make sure the clamp on the fuel cross over line does not drop down while I'm disconnecting the mount bolts and scratch the chrome.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that it is carbuerated. wouldn't mind taking it all the way off but am not to sure about what to do with the hose clamps. Don't want to put generic looking hose clamps back on any ideas on something that would look good. I don't know if they make chrome clamps or not

If you have to take the fuel line loose, I would not use the automotive style clamp ether they can loosen up with time, good investment is a pair of crimping pliers and you can pick up new HD clamps from your dealer. Have never seen chrome ones.

If you have to take the fuel line loose, I would not use the automotive style clamp ether they can loosen up with time, good investment is a pair of crimping pliers and you can pick up new HD clamps from your dealer. Have never seen chrome ones.

Those pliars are called K D pliars the same ones we use for crimping clamps on C V axles, Napa should have them in stock or in there tool catalog, Jack

I use stainless jubilee clips in various places including on the oil and fuel lines ive never had one come loose

Brian

I took the tank off of my 02 RC buy unscrewing the fitting from the petcock into the tank ( the gas filter is there to. Good time to change it ) Off course the tank has to be empty.

I use stainless jubilee clips in various places including on the oil and fuel lines ive never had one come loose

Brian

Brian

Where do you find them and what do they look like. I need to pop the tank off and wanted something to install after that.

Back