free website stats program Removing front forks on my FXR | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing front forks on my FXR

Bajaman, I have a '92 FXRS, I reseated my seals with a piece of PVC that I cut in half. It worked like a charm

Hey Glider maybe you're on here. I'm in Mexico and the shops are closed today for Good Friday. Did you just put a 6MM allen head socket on your impact and it zipped right off? I can turn one but it just spins real tough, with a wrench. I don't have the impact socket driver I need. The other side wanted to strip when I put a 6MM driver in a ratchet and gave it my all. Stuck on Good Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Glider maybe you're on here. I'm in Mexico and the shops are closed today for Good Friday. Did you just put a 6MM allen head socket on your impact and it zipped right off? I can turn one but it just spins real tough, with a wrench. I don't have the impact socket driver I need. The other side wanted to strip when I put a 6MM driver in a ratchet and gave it my all. Stuck on Good Friday.

Yes, that is how I did it. Loosen it, then put the impact on it and hit it! Actually, thinking back on how I did this, after loosening the bolt, I then hit it with the electric drill! There is little torque required, just speed, and the drill worked well to accomplish this.

TQ

Last edited:
The key to it is getting the initial fast twist to it. The bolt is screwed into the dampening rod which will turn with the bolt. It is also easier to break loose if the springs and cap are on the tube, putting some pressure on the damper rod.. I'm fortunate that I have a air gun, and they zip right out.

If you're going to do your own repairs, an air compressor is great to have. Craftman's (more than 20 gals.) usually are sold with impact wrench's. The air comp and wrenches might not be top of the line, but for home use they are very good.

Thorns

to pull the brass fitting out you need a impact gun.air is the best or you could a battery impact.you need a impact because you need that sudden jerk to break free.then you can unscrew very easy. and on another note i always slide the whole fork out.

I'm having same issue re: removing fork tubes from bike to replace seals, bushings, rings.
Been banging on tubes with shop mallet without success; they wont fall out. I will try specifically tapping on the pinch bolts as suggested. I tried replacing parts without removing fork tubes but I cant get the larger new bushing to seat properly into the top of the slider while the slider is pulled partially onto the tube. I sliced a piece of both 1 1/2 " and 1 1/4" PVC to fit around tube and over bushing to tap down onto bushing to get it to seat. . . but no go. It keeps going in cockeyed.

Any suggestions here so I don't have to try and remove tubes? Thanks

Back