free website stats program Removing factory fender emblems? | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing factory fender emblems?

Randall K. Wilson

I desire to remove the factory installed "Deluxe" off of my front fender (long story).

Can this be done without damaging the factory paint. I just assumed it was just a stick-on? Has anyone on the forum performed such a "feat".

Don't want to do anything that will come back to haunt me. If I remove the emblem I want the fender to look just as it did before the emblem was placed on it.

Please respond.

My first call would be to the dealer. They should know exactly how it's put on there, whether it's some type of adhesive or other device.

Check carefully,unless they have done something different,the emblems are applied and then the clearcoat is applied,generally heavier at that area then the rest to protect the emblem,same with the stick on tank badging.If you are set on removing it be prepared to wetsand and apply new clearcoat to the fender.

Check carefully,unless they have done something different,the emblems are applied and then the clearcoat is applied,generally heavier at that area then the rest to protect the emblem,same with the stick on tank badging.If you are set on removing it be prepared to wetsand and apply new clearcoat to the fender.

YIKES, then maybe I better pass, thanks pal.

The fender emblems are usually put on with some speed nuts on the back (holes through fender) The stick on ones on a few models can be heated and removed as long as there is no clear coat on them (emblems) The decals are usually cleared over.

I mat have misunderstood I thought he had the stick on decal ,like the classic does.If he has chrome emblems he will be left with 2 holes in the fender on each side.

A great way to remove a raised emblem that's attched with adhesive is to use dental floss. Hey stop snickering! It really works, I've used it to remove tank emblems.

Use it like a wire saw. It's thin enough to get between the emblem and metal, and won't hurt the finish. Depending on how large an emblem you'll probably use a whole spool. To remove the adhesive residue left behind I use my hand. The friction from rubbing will remove the leave behinds without hurting the gloss coat.

Last edited:
I've heard of folks using fishing line pulled back and fourth (like a saw) behind the emblems to remove them.........would that work?

Back