free website stats program Removing exhaust flange studs... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing exhaust flange studs...

Im with TQ also as they do want to stay in there and it is a real pest to drill the studs out if they snap off

Brian

I like the idea of a ride to heat them up, if not use a heat gun and lots of PB Blaster, work them back and forth a few turns at a time, you will know by feel if they are going to snap, they should come out fairly easy as your bike is still fairly new JMO

Lots of good info. Tks! I am use to taking something that is working perfectly fine and turning it into a regrettable project.:)

Saw these fancy studs for sale and just had to have them!

Lots of good info. Tks! I am use to taking something that is working perfectly fine and turning it into a regrettable project.:)

Saw these fancy studs for sale and just had to have them!

Change is good u r building the Perfect Beast:s

Mine came out real easy even though i didnt want them to when i removed the exhaust 2 of the studs came out with the nuts

what kind of studs?

what kind of studs?

Grade 8 SS but I don't know what grade of SS they are. Have not received them yet. There $8 each which is a lot to me. I will see if they are any good.

Owning a Harley makes the world go round for lots of other small companies.:)

Would anyone know of an easy way to remove exhaust flange studs in the heads without breaking them off. It's an '09 bike and they are not really rusted yet. I have some new grade 8 Stainless studs I would like to replace them with. But I sure don't want to make a problem out of it by breaking off the old ones. Tks!

If you have to remove them you could see if a mechanic you know has stud sockets. I work on cars and have my own set. Your pro tool guys would have them. The sockets have cam rollers in them that lock onto the stud. You can take em out and put em in with these.
From experiance If they don't come loose easy, you will need to use some heat like the others said. Try to heat the aria around the stud. Aluminum will expand faster then steel.
Good luck if you go for it!

I have two questions:

1. Is Antiseize the same thing as -copper grease or equivalent- ?

2. Hoop where did you find Grade 8 Stainless ? I have never been able to find SS in grade 8.

I have two questions:

1. Is Antiseize the same thing as -copper grease or equivalent- ?

I have never seen a product called antiseize here in the uk but what is used as a barrier between dissimilar metals is copper grease it prevents the 2 metals from interacting with each other and corroding together and it is suitable for high heat areas like exhaust studs so i think it is similar to Antiseize

Brian

Back