free website stats program Removing exhaust flange studs... | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing exhaust flange studs...

Hoople

Account Removed
Would anyone know of an easy way to remove exhaust flange studs in the heads without breaking them off. It's an '09 bike and they are not really rusted yet. I have some new grade 8 Stainless studs I would like to replace them with. But I sure don't want to make a problem out of it by breaking off the old ones. Tks!

I would try double nutting but dont try too hard as they are a real pain if you break them and have to drill them out so a stud extractor would be my choice
However prior to trying to get them out i would clean the area up and soak the area with penetrating fluid the day before i tried to extract them

Halfords | Halfords Stud Extractor Set

Brian

Remember and put some copper grease or equivalent on the new ones prior to fitting just in case you need to remove them in 10 yrs time

Brian

Would anyone know of an easy way to remove exhaust flange studs in the heads without breaking them off. It's an '09 bike and they are not really rusted yet. I have some new grade 8 Stainless studs I would like to replace them with. But I sure don't want to make a problem out of it by breaking off the old ones. Tks!

Hmmm. I am sort of a "if it ain't broke, ..." on that kinda thing. Soaking the existing stuff down with penetrating oil a good bit in advance of removing the nuts is my strategy. With proper exhaust gaskets, you will not need to over torque the nuts when going back on. I personally would wait until you have to replace the studs, or you have the heads off for another reason. It is WAY easier it do this kind of thing on the bench instead of crawling around on the ground, even if you do have a lift!!

TQ

While TQ & Chop are on to something, the key here is NOW you have a choice as the studs are fairly "new" and not in there "almost welded". Do it after you have gone for a ride to warm things up a bit helps, and wear mechanics gloves so you don't burn yourself..."literally"...:s

Back