free website stats program Removing cam cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Removing cam cover

Hello, I want to remove my primary, derby, sproket and cam covers on my 2008 Nightster and send them out to be powder coated black. I plan on getting the manual, but I would like some feedback on removing the cam cover as that is more involved. Is it reall that difficult to do? I would like to save on the dealer labor. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

David

Some, like Glider, have done it successfully, by cutting down the wrenches. If you don't you will need to remove the front exhaust, to get it done.

Enjoy,
Rich P

On the sport it is a little More Involved than the cover on a TC...

The sport houses the camshafts and taking off the outer cover is where the cams ends(4) fit into that cover..

TC's is a piece of cake as the cover is JUST a cover and NOT a support for the cams as a sporty is.

I have never had a sport cover off on the cams side...I Have HEARD that you lean bike over to the left side as much as possible and make sure the valves are in NEUTRAL Positions so as the cams Don't have valve pressure on them and HOPE the cams Don't come out on the side plate you are removing... Tap Tap Tap Tap

Like a rubber hammer tapping on cover before all the way apart to keep cams on the engine side...(they will line up if they do come out)

On my 883 to 1200 up grade, this is one reason I kept the cams stock and didn't take apart my cams side plate...

Now maybe some one who has done this will come along and say HOW.

signed....BUBBIE

I have never done it on a rubber mount sporty but i dont think it has changed much srom the solid mount then best to take the rockers off first itll just make things easier as you will almost certainley pulll at least 1 cam out sods law makes it that way then you wll need the rockers off to get everything back and lined up
you will need a service manual to get it all assembled correctly again
the cover has bushings in it for the cams they wll need replaced after the powdercoat unless steps are taken to fully mask them off

Brian

I have never done it on a rubber mount sporty but i dont think it has changed much srom the solid mount then best to take the rockers off first itll just make things easier as you will almost certainley pulll at least 1 cam out sods law makes it that way then you wll need the rockers off to get everything back and lined up
you will need a service manual to get it all assembled correctly again
the cover has bushings in it for the cams they wll need replaced after the powdercoat unless steps are taken to fully mask them off

Brian

stupid question but what are the rockers, I have read this word in many other posts

Rockers are what opens the valve they sit on the top of the heads they work on a pivot as the push rods go up they push up on one end of the rockers the other end of the rocker sits on top of the valve as the push rod pushes up the force is transmitted through the pivot to the other end of the rocker and pushes down on the valve which opens the valve

Brian

Back